XR8300 and sub woofer connection

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
jma_1

XR8300 and sub woofer connection

Post by jma_1 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Greetings,
I have an XR8300 which has been working just fine.

Recently, I acquired a pair of subs and a power amp. I'm assuming I need to also purchase an external crossover. The correct connections seem to be from the main out to the crossover then to the power amp & finally the subs. This does not seem ideal as I cannot boost the low frequencies supplied in the signal to the crossover without it winding up in the mains. Any suggestions? I have a few hot-spot monitors I could daisy change vocals into and possibly not use the monitor outputs (not preferred).

Conceptually I think the connections should be to have two outputs from the XR8300, one for main and one subs which feed into the crossover. Then the high frequencies should be fed back into the XR8300 power amps and the other sub output from the crossover into the external power amp. This seems to point to a different mixer or sub. A single powered sub is more than the pair of used 18" subs and 1200 watt power amp I acquired.

Cheers,
Justin

SemperFiSound

Re: XR8300 and sub woofer connection

Post by SemperFiSound » Sun May 08, 2011 11:47 am

Justin,
You almost had it!
jma_1 wrote:I'm assuming I need to also purchase an external crossover.
Unless your subs have a low pass already built in, yes, you will be needing one.
jma_1 wrote:The correct connections seem to be from the main out to the crossover then to the power amp & finally the subs.
True dat, except...see below..
jma_1 wrote:This does not seem ideal as I cannot boost the low frequencies supplied in the signal to the crossover without it winding up in the mains. Any suggestions?
Even the inexpensive PV-23XO analog crossover has gain knobs for each band. You will be able to control the amount of bass going to the subs.
jma_1 wrote:Conceptually I think the connections should be to have two outputs from the XR8300, one for main and one subs which feed into the crossover. Then the high frequencies should be fed back into the XR8300 power amps and the other sub output from the crossover into the external power amp.
You are correct. However, you just need the one signal to go the crossover, there it bifurcates into two signals, with the mid/highs going back into the XR and the lows going to the other power amp.

You got the right ideas going on.....just needed one more conceptual step.

Cheers,
Steve
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

markfrench

Re: XR8300 and sub woofer connection

Post by markfrench » Sat May 21, 2022 10:11 am

Help, how do I connect a powered 118d sub to a Xr 8300? I also have two passive 215s