Recording with Peavey Mixers

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
jim h

Re: Recording with Peavey Mixers

Post by jim h » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:22 am

Sure, you can use them, as long as you don't mind the level to the recorder changing with the main PA speakers. It might be better to run from the RCA recording outputs, their level is not affected by the main faders.

gityup

Post by gityup » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:18 pm

I just bought a FX 2 16 for the simple fact that I was having problems finding the smaller media sticks to record on. Now, it is still having a problem. The media stick was found, It showed it was recording, but no sound came out.

jim h

Post by jim h » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:11 am

I'm not sure what you mean. What size stick did you buy? While the FX2 does have better compatibility with newer memory sticks, I still wouldn't go crazy with these giant memory sticks. The larger the stick the more resources needed from the mixer to manage them. I would stick with a 16Gb or smaller. That should give you tons of recording time, even at the highest bit rates.

So you made a recording, did you plug the stick in to a computer? Is the recording on the stick?

gityup

Post by gityup » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:57 pm

The light was on as if it was recording...but it did not play. I put it in my computer and the file is there...it just will not play. I used a 4 gb media stick. Is ther some place to do the volume when recording?

gityup

Post by gityup » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:26 pm

I just put it into audacity and amplified the sound, a lot of hissing, can barely hear the songs
that I recorded. They are there but not able to hear them.

gityup

Post by gityup » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Called Peavey and talked to tech. He said I need to go into I/o screen and change mp3 record settings. Gain- adjust 11.5 or 12 and Stereo at 320 KB.
So will try that when I am at the mixer again and see what happens.......

gityup

Post by gityup » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Peavey recommends not going over an 8 gb media stick even on the new fx2.

jim h

Post by jim h » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:25 am

If you are just having a level problem, then it might be a gain structure problem. The record out is taken before all the processing and the main faders, so if your signal is low there, your recording will be low. You really want the main faders at about 0 and the meters should mostly be lighting up, at least up to 0dB maybe a little more. Also take a look at your power amps, you will probably want to turn them down, so you can have more signal in the mixer and maintain your levels.

Give that a try.

dennyb13

Post by dennyb13 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:41 am

Report this post

Postby Josjor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:58 am
OK. Here's my tip of the day:

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I'm cheap. Most commercial software is pretty expensive and a lot of it is pretty confusing as well. So here is a good, free software program that is incredibly easy to use and gives a pretty danged good recording ability with multitrack capabilities:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I've actually done some pretty cool recordings with this, even some radio commercials for my store. It passed muster with the radio engineers so can't be to bad.
http://www.yourmusichq.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

I am trying to record our weekly church service from our Peavey 20USB to our laptop with Audacity via the USB port on the mixer to the USB on the computer. I would like to know more about your experience My recordings would be multi track if I knew how to do this. What i have achieved so far are muddy recordings. I am thinking I need an audio interface to achieve the multi tracking, but that is an un-researched guess. I have actually found some Audacity tutorials on YouTube which has helped me understand the program better.

Can you offer some information that can help me or anyone.

dennyb13

Post by dennyb13 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:00 pm

I am not sure anyone is still posting or reading this forum since it appears to be inactive, but I am going to ask my question anyway in hopes someone is still reading and posting here.

My church is using a Peavey 20USB mixer. I am new to audio so bear with me. I am trying to record our service on our laptop computer using Audacity via the USB connection. I have worked with the program enough to get some sound, but what I am getting is muddy. I am wondering if I have the correct set-up to record multi tracks (9 mics) or 1 mono track.

Comments, suggestions, ideas? :?:

jim h

Post by jim h » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:29 am

The PV mixers are only capable of recording two tracks at a time. They are not capable of multi-track recording.

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:10 pm

You might also try connecting an analogue output from the mixer to your laptop's line input jack (if so equipped) if trying to record via USB is giving problems.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Glad you started this post on recording. Lots of good info here for me. I wish I knew how to "sticky" it. Until I learn how, I will keep the first page as a "favorite" for fast reference.
I have Audacity on one of my computers which I use mostly for music stuff. I have not used nearly all the features it has, but I really do like the ones I have found. It works really well and seems stable.
I particularly appreciate the detailed info on the use of USB flash drives for recording. I am about to install a PV14USB mixer in my son-in-law's small church. He plans to use a flash drive to record and I will now know to use a smaller sized drive and will know how to format it for best results.
Thank you all for your input. I will no doubt be referring to this forum later on.

After the PV14USB install, I now realize I was picturing the FX series mixer when I imagined using the flash drive to record. We hooked the PV14USB to my son-in-law's laptop and got good recordings. Still, if I ever do get an FX mixer......
Last edited by colliedogboy1 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:47 pm

To: dennyb13
This is a late post, but I noticed you mentioned you were "multi-tracking". Perhaps you mean only that you have 9 inputs into your mixer at once. If so, then that is not multi-track recording--it is simply 2-track recording of 9 sound sources at once. It all "mixes" inside your mixer and comes out in two tracks--"Left" and "Right". I believe the USB port sends out both sides. Of course, if you pan all your inputs to the left, then there would be no sound coming out the right side of the USB port or the right master output of the mixer. Normally, all inputs are panned to the center 12:00 o'clock position and will come out equally in both left and right outputs.
For recording sound for video projects, it is helpful to pan different sound sources left and/or right in order to reflect their position onstage or in the movie set---far left characters would pan far left with your "Pan" knob, and far right characters would pan far right. Half-stage left would only pan halfway to the left, and so on.

Spidersweb

Post by Spidersweb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but I could use the help.

Using a Peavey PV10 USB mixer (Adobe Audition for DAW); Mics-SM58, Nady Lav wireless, Peavey Handheld wireless, Peavey wired mic, Keyboard, CD player

When I record via USB and via monitor send (I use a handheld recorder as a backup) I am getting a very audible humming noise. Every item mentioned is on the same ground (including the laptop.) I've unpluged every input and I still get the humming noise. I've also tried a new power supply and switched out the USB cord. I spend hours trying to filter out this hum from my mixdown and not lose vocals.

Please help