Recording with Peavey Mixers

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
colliedogboy1

Re: Recording with Peavey Mixers

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:59 pm

I don't know if you are recording to a laptop computer or such, but I have read on these forums that computer power adapters are notorious for causing hum in sound systems. If that is your case, try running the laptop on battery power alone. They say that eliminates the problem.

jwhaley18

Post by jwhaley18 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Sorry Im just trying to get the answer!

Hello! I was hoping someone could help me, i have a 16 channel analog mixer peavey mark 3 series, I'm trying to set it up where i can record with it.
My set up i have been using is Pro Tools with a fast track solo and a macbook pro, i know how to record on PT and everything i just don't know how to set up the mixer into my fast track solo, i plan on getting a bigger set channel audio recording interface eventually, but this will have to do for now.
Do i need to get the RCA color coated plugs and some 1/4" input adapters for them and plug them into the mixer then to get the back of the fast track solo? where it has right and left outputs red and white color coating? also on my peavey mixer on the channels it says pre and post and send and ret. which I'm assuming means retrieve, I'm new to using mixers if you can't tell... someone help please!

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:26 am

Sounds like you're on the right track. (No pun intended) On any mixer, "Pre" means "before the fader and channel controls", such as tone controls, reverb, etc. In other words, you are tapping into the signal right up at the "Gain" control. "Post" means "after the fader and channel controls". So, if you are running a "post" auxiliary mix to a floor monitor system, for instance, when you raise the fader on any of the 16 channels, you will also be raising the level (volume) of that channel in your floor monitor system. The main speaker system and that "post" floor monitor system are inter-related.

A "Pre" mix is totally separate and independent and is usually desirable for monitor mixes. Lots of folks use a pre mix for recording because it can be easier to mix without messing up your main mix. However, you will be losing the use of your channel's tone controls and effects by using that "Dry" signal. BUT, a dry signal usually gives better accuracy in a floor monitor mix anyway.

If you decide to record using a "Post" mix, use really good isolating headphones to solo your record mix and mix it using the "auxiliary" mix knobs once you know that the Main mix sounds right---it's kind of a ratio-setting situation. If you are doing all this on the fly, it can be tricky, but if you are in a situation where you can do multiple takes, the ratios between the main mix faders and the recording auxiliary mix faders can be more accurately set. BTW, "Send" always means the signal is being sent out of the mixer. "Return" means the signal is going into the mixer.

If you are recording a live performance, you can tap into the mixer's "Main A" and "Main B" outputs for your signal to the Mac and use the "Sum" output to run your sound system. If you are only recording, then by all means tap into Main A and Main B and mix easily using the headphones. Headphones are necessary because what sounds good inside a given space rarely gives a good mix "on tape".

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:25 pm

try running the laptop on battery if your not already. sometimes the charger causes a humm

Jireh

Post by Jireh » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:09 am

HI, total novice here. I have the Peavy 4B mixer from the Peavy Audio Performer Pack. I simply want to record a vocalist with a background track input from my laptop. Is there a way to do this easily without a lot of technical know how?

If the lap top is inputting the background track then I can't record TO the laptop right? How do I hook up another lap top? There isn't another RCA port. And what software is the easiest to use for this application? Some folk are talking about USBs, but theres no USB port on this mixer.
I probably will never advance beyond this for a while except to sing with a guitar plugged into the system and record that. Then I would have a laptop available...but the RCA port is input not output right? Really basic here guys, thanks.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Your post indicates a Peavey 4B, which I assume means the PVi4B "box mixer" which Peavey currently sells. If that is so, then you are correct in saying that you cannot play and record simultaneously on one laptop. This mixer actually does have two RCA ports--one is the "Tape In" and the other is the "Tape Out".
Assuming (again) that the playing laptop plugs into the "tape in" RCA connectors and the recording laptop plugs into the "tape out" RCA connectors and the vocalist' microphone plugs into any one of the 4 XLR or line connectors, then you need to use headphones to monitor the recording as it occurs in the recording laptop or simply listen to the live sound as it outputs through a set of speakers, if you are using speakers to produce live sound. I think that, if you only want to make a recording of the vocalist singing with the background track, speakers are not even necessary. In that case, use headphones to monitor the mix. Do a dry run first in order to match the levels of the voice and the music, then do it again while you record it. I'm thinking out loud here. :) Good luck, and have fun with it.

vegito

Post by vegito » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:23 pm

How can we save current firmware of the mixer?..before you upgrade to newer version

nhel247

Post by nhel247 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:13 am

good pm ma'am/sir... i have peavey 24fx2 and its really great...but i have a problem to connect my 24fx into my computer... because if i put my fx24 to my computer as for my software(cubase 5) there's no signal when i hit the mic or some instruments or in short threre's no signal to coming into the computer.... but the memory stick its good and no problem for that.. and i just want to fix this problem about to 24fx to computer recording...I HOPE FOR YOUR HELPING GUYS...!!! AND FOR THE ADMIN

ymeddie

Post by ymeddie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:18 am

Hi guy,
Need your expertise in this
Im using pv14usb to to recording and play the music form my DAW, on my pc, im using usb to hook up w my pv14usb to the pc,
Is there any way i can record my voice while play the mix from my pc and both mix and voc can be heard on headphone while recording.

scott.dickey

Post by scott.dickey » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:30 am

Hi ymeddie,

Yes there's absolutely a way to do that. What you want to do is, first, make sure the switch at the top of channel 11/12 is in the USB B position. Then mute and solo that channel. This will make sure that the track on your PC doesn't get re-recorded but also plays through your headphones. If you want to hear your vocals in the headphones also, solo that channel as well, but leave it unmuted since that's the track you want to record on your PC.
Scott Dickey
Peavey Embedded Software Engineer

Ren Fisk

Post by Ren Fisk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:16 pm

I should have posted this question HERE instead of starting my own thread!

What recording device do the pros here use to record audio besides a laptop?

I'm looking for something to put behind or next to my PV10USB mixing board to record audio that's already being recorded by my laptop via Adobe Audition. Ideally, this would be something to connect to the RCA connectors so if something happens to the laptop the audio I'm recording is safe.

Budge? Between $200 and $500. Or more, eventually.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Our church has a Tascam RW750 CD recorder that is connected directly to the mixer's left and right tape outputs. That CD recorder has performed flawlessly for about 10 or 12 years. I am not certain of the exact model number, but I am certain that it is one of the RW series. I think Tascam still sells them for around $450. You might pick up one on eBay from one of the many churches which are selling theirs and recording on programs such as the PreSonus "StudioLive" software.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:48 am

Thank-you very much all for your help and tips. Thanks Rogers, your explanation is well understood. I think I need to visit U3.com then make use of smaller sizesike 1gb.
Regards.

eagle670

Post by eagle670 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:47 am

Our band is using a Peavey 14 AT mixer and we just tried recording through it for the first time. We have everything mic'd up and used the USB cable to connect the Peavey 14 AT to a laptop and downloaded Audacity software. The first recording sounds very mono when played back through the PA system. The software is set to stereo. Any advise as to what needs to be done? Different software or drivers or maybe some type of signal booster?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

rizarefaldi

Post by rizarefaldi » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 pm

What recording device do the pros here use to record audio besides a laptop?