XR600 Mixer Amp front patching effects

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
krockn67

XR600 Mixer Amp front patching effects

Post by krockn67 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:47 am

I have an old XR600 mixer amp I bought on the cheap. She is a dirty pig and Im going to start to do some cleaning and maintenance once I figure out the proper operation and loop routing. Nothing Ive found online shows or tells how to route external effects properly or how to use the internal reverb or any ins and outs on the front of the mixer. Need some help with this old amp.. I started to mess with this amp prior to doing anything to it such a cleaning. So I get no internal reverb out of the unit or 9 band graphic eq with any channel , I used a mic straight into the XR600 without any type of external looping of a separate unit.. I want to run external effects since im getting no internal reverb or eq out of this mixer. Also there is a hum without putting external effects in the any loop of the front panel. I only got the graphic eq to work and effects of my external reverb/echo unit when I routed my external effects in the loop with the one method I found in another thread... Plug the effects out of the XR600 into the input of the reverb/echo unit, plug the output of the reverb/echo unit into an unused channel in the mixer. This method works but its super sensitive. Also you do NOT turn up the effects dial in that unused channel, to hear the effects in the main use the main level, to hear effects in the monitor use the monitor level. you must turn up the the effect send in the channel you want to hear the effects on and also the effects master. I didnt turn the gain up in the unused channel either. I wanted to use all 6 channels but now I have to dedicate one of the 6 for an effects loop? Is this the only and correct way? I tried to go out of the "MAIN" output of the XR600 into my outboard effect(s) input and then from the outboard effects output into the "POWER AMP" input of the XR600 but I ended up with external effects in every channel and no control with the effects knobs in any of the channels and no 9 band built in graphic eq operation whatsoever. No internal reverb from the XR600 either in this method or the previous method I tried. Reverb to main and reverb to monitor did nothing. What gives and how do I route this pig properly either with internal or external eq and effects?

dak

Re: XR600 Mixer Amp front patching effects

Post by dak » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:16 am

Have you checked support/manuals on the Peavey.com website? There are a number of XR600 things on there, like an XR-600C mixer amp or the XR600 that also appears to be a mixer amp manual.

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:52 pm

This is the XR600c but I believe yours is just an older model but similar.
Make sure these 3 are first turned down and the channel (s) are working fine and there is no patching being done on the front of the amp. This is for the internal spring reverb only. I'll post again for another setup.

1. Turn the effects Master to 5 or the straight up 12 o'clock position.
2. Turn the Effects to Mains to 5 or the 12 o'clock position.
3. Now turn up how much you want to feed the reverb on each channel.

That is how the internal spring reverb was designed to work.

If you want to drive the internal spring reverb a little harder turn up 1.
If you want to drive the reverb return or Level in the main mix up or down overall turn 2 as needed.
You can send the reverb mix to blend into the monitor out jack as well by turning up the reverb to monitor knob for the amount of reverb you want in the monitor out jack.
Three on each channel of course goes to 1 and from there it goes to the Mains or Monitors.

Doug
effects.JPG
effects.JPG (107.76 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:17 pm

To use an external Effects Processor.

Again, Have the system up and running before setting the effects sends.

Have Effects Master set to 5 or at the 12 o'clock position to start. I listed as 1. The effects Master not only feeds the internal reverb, but it also feeds the Effects out jack. Turn down the effects to Mains and Monitor knobs for now as well.
Go to the channel you want to send to the effects processor that is working going out to the PA and turn its Effects send knob to 12 o'clock.
Go from the effects out jack into the effects processor you have and have the input to this processor all the way down.
Go from the effects processor out to the Aux in and have the output level on the effects processor all the way down too.

Now talk into the channel that has its effects send turned up and turn up the input level of the external processor until you get the level you want to drive it at.
Last you would go to your external processor and turn the output up until you get the effects level you want in the main FOH. The Aux in has no level control so you have to use the external effects processor Out Level to adjust the level going back in.
With this done you can turn up or down each channel's effects send and use the channel sends to get the balance overall you need.

Because the Effects master feeds the internal reverb you could have an external delay unit up and running then just turn up the reverb to mains/monitor knobs to add the spring reverb to the monitors or mains.

Doug
effects external.JPG
effects external.JPG (136.4 KiB) Viewed 1970 times

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:41 am

I wanted to Add. Although the Aux in doesn't have a level of its own. The Tape In Level control does become the input level for what is coming in the Aux Jack. So have that one at 12 o'clock before you adjust your External Effects devices output level. It is pretty much common knowledge, but I thought I should add that.
edit.JPG
edit.JPG (85.4 KiB) Viewed 1887 times