Pv2600

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
evertheoptimist

Pv2600

Post by evertheoptimist » Tue May 24, 2022 2:15 pm

I have a PV2600 it powers on and both green LED lights illuminate but only one signal light when passing signal through the Amp.
I changed the input board for a known working one and no change ,would a defective gain pot cause this?
When bridge is selected both signal LED’s illuminate but only channel A power LED disengage bridge mode and both power LED’s illuminate and only channel A Signal LED lights up.
It’s driving me nuts any advice would be welcomed.
Regards evertheoptimist

Enzo

Re: Pv2600

Post by Enzo » Tue May 24, 2022 7:10 pm

Please define your problem better. Does the amp pass signal and the only problem is the meter? Or does the meter remain dark and no signal passes, like maybe the meter is fine it just has no signal to report? Those are very different problems.

Leave bridge mode off, it only uses one side of the preamp anyway.

Volume control? Well if the amp won't pass signal, sure, as any other part in the signal path. If just the meter, then no. How could a pot pass signal but not the VU information?

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Wed May 25, 2022 1:33 am

Hi Enzo I hook my mixer to the amp and channel b passes no signal (no sound from that channel either) and the sig led stays off but the power (green led) is on.
I swapped the pre amp board out for a known working one and still the problem persists.
Would I be right in saying the output stage is fine if the amp powers up and doesn’t go into protect/trip the breaker and assume the fault is on the pre amp side of things?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed May 25, 2022 3:39 am

No, there are many failure modes of an amp circuit that do not result in protect mode or blown fuses. The power amp may or may not be OK. For example the stereo/bridge switch could be dirty or broken. PA would be OK but signal couldn't get through.

Getting sound in your speaker is what I mean by "pass signal". Signal passes through the amp.

SO what we have is channel b doesn't work. You give it input and it makes no output. Look at your schematic, the signal light. The signal LED is driven by an op amp, and from the input side of the op amp, the circuit ultimately finds a long connection down, across and back up to the output to the speaker. SO if the speaker is getting no sound, then the LED won't light. SO if we fix the channel, I'd wager the LED will wake up.

You changed out the input card, I will assume it works. Channel B leaves there on pin 6 of a connector. Now look at schematic of channel B power amp. Input to that comes in on pin 6 of the mating connector. Connector P100. Now follow from poin 6, the first thing we come to is the volume control. SO yes, it could cause no output. But please don't just order a control and hope it solves it. APply a tst signal of some sort. I use a CD player, but a signal generator or whatever. COnnect something that would normally make sound out the speakers. Now follow that signal with a scope or meter. turn the control up, is the signal present on the wiper terminal?

Just below the volume control on channel B drawing is the connector from the bridge/stereo switch. Any problems with that connector could lose a channel.

'Otherwise, the whole channel circuit needs to be troubleshot. But my money is on something simple.