CS800 Power with no load

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
Woofer123

CS800 Power with no load

Post by Woofer123 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:57 am

Hi All, I'm new. This is my first post. I'm building a PA system (a first for me). Found a Peavey CS800 online (Merry Go Round). Purchased it and had it shipped to my house. I figured I'd do a basic test, power it up and turn it on. I did that, and sparks flew out the front of the CS800. I contacted the seller. He said, "Power amplifiers should never be powered up without a load (speaker) attached. That is why you saw the fireworks show when you flipped the switch".

So I'm just looking for a sanity check. Is that right? Power up CS800 without speakers attached, and you can expect to see fireworks?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Bartman

Re: CS800 Power with no load

Post by Bartman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:18 pm

Some very old style amps required a load before turning on, but that hasn't been true for decades, so I would be highly suspect. What is the full model number of it? Is it the kind with the "back porch" where "crossover cans" can be plugged in?

Dookie

Re: CS800 Power with no load

Post by Dookie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:41 pm

Woofer123 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:57 am
Hi All, I'm new. This is my first post. I'm building a PA system (a first for me). Found a Peavey CS800 online (Merry Go Round). Purchased it and had it shipped to my house. I figured I'd do a basic test, power it up and turn it on. I did that, and sparks flew out the front of the CS800. I contacted the seller. He said, "Power amplifiers should never be powered up without a load (speaker) attached. That is why you saw the fireworks show when you flipped the switch".

So I'm just looking for a sanity check. Is that right? Power up CS800 without speakers attached, and you can expect to see fireworks?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
All Peavey CS800 amps can be powered on with no speakers plugged in or no load. Many Tube Amps liked to have a load on them. The person who sold the amp to you either doesn't know what he is talking about or is telling you a lie because he sold you a damaged amp. Any chance it was damaged in shipping? You did nothing wrong with powering up the amp with no speakers plugged in.

Doug