XR600B repair

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
XR600B repair

XR600B repair

Post by XR600B repair » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:04 am

Hello, I bought an old XR600B amplifier, but there is an issue: It keeps burning fuses in 10 seconds. It was bought from a second hand store where people bring their stuff for free and the store makes money. They always test the electrical equipment. So i dont know what is up.

At first there was a 1.25A 250V fuse in the back. I tried some speaker (which work). They are about 4 Ohm. Two 4 - 8 Ohm speakers in parrallel, giving 4 ohms. So that should be able to be fed by the XR600B 2 - 4 ohm speaker out plugs. The fused burned.

So i replaced the burned fuses with a 4A 250V fuse insead. This one also burned. So something is up, and i dont know what.

I opened the "hood", some parts looked burned. But after disconnecting the parts from the board and measuring them with an electrical meter, function seemed to be fine (to my surprise i must say). So i emailed Peavey for some schematics, hoping that i could use those for the repair. Which i got just a minute ago. :)

I am looking for people who have experience with repairing XR600Bs so i may get a clue about what is up with the unit. The fuse keeps burning up, so there must be some part not doing its thing. For the short time that the unit was on, the speakers gave me a sort of humming noise. The speakers did work with another device on the headphone connection, so the speakers seem to be fine.

I am in europe, so sending the unit for repairs will be to expensive. I payed 75 euros, that is about 82 dollar. So im not going to pay 200 plus for the trip to the US, and sending it back will probably be 200 more. So thats not economical.

I hope to be able to find the problem. And fix it myself. Hoping one of you guys can help me out.

Greetings,

Jeff

Enzo

Re: XR600B repair

Post by Enzo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi, I am sure we discussed this elsewhere too.

Some thoughts. You do not have to send an amp to the USA for repair. ANY competent amp technician can repair this. You must have repair shops near you? Peavey amps are not complicated to work on, especially ones from that era.

You most likely have shorted output transistors. They probably will not look any different.

XR600B repair

Post by XR600B repair » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:06 am

Thank you for the reply. Well that narrows down the search. Ive read elsewhere that the transistors go bad and that caused the unit to fail. So that is 2 cases with the same cause. So i will check these parts then..

Greetings,

XR600B repair

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Well, really, the failure of the transistor IS the amp failure. Nothing particular to this model or any other. Outputs fail, just like any other part.