Amp Size for SP4 Speakers

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
harrtp

Amp Size for SP4 Speakers

Post by harrtp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 pm

I have a set of Peavey SP4 II Quasi-3-Way Passive speakers. I am looking at purchasing a Peavey IPR2 7500 Power Amplifier to go with them. Is this amp too much for these speakers? I don't won't an amp that will blow my speakers. Thanks.

Dookie

Re: Amp Size for SP4 Speakers

Post by Dookie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:46 pm

Peavey made many different SP4's so a exact model number or a picture will help. Although amp size is important how that amp is run may be as much if not more important. The IPR series like most current Peavey power amps have a DDT system to help control clipping but that should be seen more as a Caution/stop light. Don't run the amp with the DDT on constant. Its better to see it flash and bring it down so it doesn't come on and run like that. Running the amp with the DDT lights constantly on may build up too much heat in the speakers voice coils and crossovers until they fail. Also heating up the voice coils causes the impedance to change and effects the amps ability to give them full power.

Also note speakers have a designed bandwidth they as far as frequency response they can handle. Normally the speaker may have a 50hz to 18,000hz range as an example. That means below 50hz you should not add or give a lot of input frequencies there. Some amps have a built in low cut switch that takes extreme lows out of the signal going to the amp. Find the spec's of your SP4 model and run it in that range. Operating a speaker below its designed frequency range can damage the woofers.

Also note that wattage too isn't the end all of the equation. An amp that is 1000 watts at 4 ohms is only 3 db's louder than an amp that is 500 watts per channel at 4 ohms. (3db's is just a noticeable change) If you use a large amp hard and the voice coil heats up and power compression happens it may not be as loud as a smaller amp not heating the coils up. Again its all how you use the amp.

Get back as to the exact year/ model of your speakers. I'm guessing you have the "Series II" but want to be sure. These speakers are 1000 watts at 4 ohms if I remember right. Peavey likes to have from RMS to Program power available on their speakers. The amp is 2022 watts both channels driven which is right around program power. So long as you have the sub sonic filter to keep extreme lows out and don't run with the DDT lights on very much if at all you should be in the right power range.

Doug

harrtp

Post by harrtp » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:05 am

Yes, they are series II. The specs state "2,000 watts program, 4,000 watts peak"

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:37 pm

harrtp wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:05 am
Yes, they are series II. The specs state "2,000 watts program, 4,000 watts peak"
Yes. They are 1000 watts RMS, 2000 watts Program, 4000 watts peak. Peavey recommends between RMS and Program power for their speakers. The 4000 watt "Peak" rating is for a VERY short duration. In the Milisecond range. (1 ms is 1000 of a second ) Your amp supplies up to 2022 watts ""RMS"" at 4 ohms if I remember correctly. 2022 watts of "Program power" would be when your just starting to light the DDT lights on your amp or just under that level. If you run with the DDT lights on close to steady your into 2022 watts ""RMS"" which is twice the 1000 watt power handling of your SP4's. You may cause damage if your not careful with that amp and run it hard.

Hope that helps.
Doug