Proper amp to power SP4, SP218

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
ff20486

Proper amp to power SP4, SP218

Post by ff20486 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:21 pm

I've always used single 15 two way speakers from Sonic powered by a crown ce1000 and more recently an ipr3000. Either amp was run through a bbe sonic maximizer. Lately I've been working less and playing more. My play involved a change from working indoor weddings to outdoor parties and I wanted more sound. More often than not I've found myself on generator power. I bought two SP4s and a pair of SP218s. I think I need a pair of CS4080 and a sound manager to complete the system but I've never run a system this big.

What amps should I run for each pair of speakers? Am I close on size and line? (CS vs. IPR)
Do I need a sound management system or can I get away with a cheaper crossover?
Most importantly, am I forgetting anything?

Please help!

Bartman

Re: Proper amp to power SP4, SP218

Post by Bartman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:50 am

As for your "am I forgetting anything"... your amp selections and overall sound system size may be severely limited by what size generator you are using. If your generator is a little gas powered pull-rope start kind, forget trying to power more than one amplifier with it. If you are using a diesel powered generator that is permanently mounted to a trailer, then you can connect a large sound system to that.

Example: here's my generator...
http://www.bartmanaudio.com/power.html

ff20486

Post by ff20486 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 pm

Thanks!

I've not gone for one of the large generators yet. So far we've been ok with running multiple generators at least for my own use. I run a 5kw per amp and a 3.5kw for lights if we are running any. I do like the idea of a rental trailer. It will be a must for any contract work I use the system for.

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 pm

The thing about generators is you have to size them much larger than your peak power draw. Never operate a generator at over 80% power rating, and for the gasoline type, if they aren't electronically regulated, any drop in engine RPM (which means the AC would drop below 60Hz) can be very damaging to electronics. Diesel generators have much higher torque, so power surges do not drag the engine as easily.

ff20486

Post by ff20486 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Cool, any ideas on which amps and crossover I should be using? I can rent generators for outside use and the insight is helpful but I also need to figure out the best way to power the speakers regardless of the power source.

Again, I just bought two SP4s and two SP218s and my older system was run off a single ipr3000. I need help building a system to power the large speakers.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:50 am

www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Bassguitarist1985

Post by Bassguitarist1985 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:42 pm

ff20486 wrote: I can rent generators for outside use and the insight is helpful but I also need to figure out the best way to power the speakers regardless of the power source..
Exactly what are you using currently for your generators? I'm a Generac generator technician as a side job. I frequent smokstak.com for repair advice and such. Agreed with everyone that diesel generators are the way to go, but they tend to be extremely large, heavy, and costly. Portability is out of the question unless its on a trailer. You mentioned you use multiple smaller generators to get by for your use. Have you ever used an inverter generator? Inverters are the most clean power in a smaller package you can buy before getting into large diesel generators. You can connect inverter generators in parallel to get more power, and the power is very clean and safe for electronics.

I see Bart uses the liquid cooled series brushless type. I see those size generators for doing BIG festival/concert sound systems. Engine runs at 1800 RPMs, multi cylinder, high torque, little deviation from 60hz and 120/240VAC. Complex monitoring systems for load management, voltage management, & HZ/speed management. The generator itself is constructed well to produce clean power with little THD. I apologize if it sounds too techy but suffice to say big machine, big cost, but safe for any device.
Pro Audio 16FX2, PV6USB, 2xQF131, QF215, 2x SP2, 2xSP118, 2xPV1600, PV3800, 4xKPC15MP
Bass - Grind 6 NTB 410TVX, 115BVX, MAX700, 210TVX, MiniMega, VB-2, VB-3, VB-MA

AngelinaRob123

Post by AngelinaRob123 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:35 am

Great, any ideas on which amps and crossover I should be using? I can rent generators for outside use and the insight is helpful but I also need to figure out the best way to power the speakers regardless of the power source.
I am also looking for this question now I find my answer.
Thanks Guys

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 am

Bassguitarist1985 I read where you said you're a Generac tech. I have an old Generac 30k single phase generator driven by a 4-cylinder diesel, made by Isuzu I think. Our power was out a earlier this week and so I fired up the generator to power our house and it was doing fine until about 2am it quit running. It won't start now, the glow plug preheat relay won't click when I press the button, start switch does nothing when activated. I can use a screwdriver to touch the starter solenoid to the main power post and it will turn over just fine, but not start. The problem seems to be in the control circuitry, nothing wrong with the engine or generator portion itself. It did this once before and I sprayed some contact cleaner on a ribbon cable that connects one part of the control circuit board to another circuit board and it worked fine after than for several months until now. I tried that same cable again, but didn't fix it this time. Any ideas?