What kind of amp for Peavey PV 118 Single 18" Subwoofer

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
zildjian2003

What kind of amp for Peavey PV 118 Single 18" Subwoofer

Post by zildjian2003 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey guys,

Im looking at getting 2 of these Peavey PV 118 Single 18" Subwoofers and was wondering if someone could tell me a good cheap amp to use to push these things. Im a drummer and I'm looking for some subs for micing my bass drums.

Heres the specs on each sub...
Peavey PV 118 Single 18" Subwoofer Features:

Vented bass subwoofer enclosure
Pro Eighteen 18" premium woofer
Optimized internal low-pass crossover network
Polemount
400W program power handling
40Hz-180Hz (±3 dB)
95dB at 1W/1m
8 ohms

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=601342

Thanks for the help guys!

SemperFiSound

Re: What kind of amp for Peavey PV 118 Single 18" Subwoofer

Post by SemperFiSound » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:07 pm

z2003,
Welcome to the forums, where, if you aren't careful, you just may learn something before it's all over.

First some homework readings:
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes ... _POWER.pdf
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes ... damage.cfm

Please peruse those - not too carefully, as I do not want your brain to explode - and then when I recommend an amp that is 65% to 85% of the speaker's program power rating you will understand the why behind the recommendation. You may also glean that you might mean an "inexpensive" amplifier as opposed to a "cheap" amplifier.

260w to 340w is the range you are shooting for.
The IPR-1600 at 300w/8 ohms per side would be a great pairing and at 7lbs, it won't kill you and at $289 or so, it is pretty darn inexpensive.

Of course, they do have an internal filter so you CAN send them a Full Range signal and they won't reproduce beyond 180Hz or so. However, if you already have an active crossover of some sort to send the low frequencies to the amplifier for the subs and the higher frequencies elsewhere, that would be the more efficient way to go - you won't have the sub amp amplifying frequencies that the speaker circuitry is just going to turn into heat.

Cheers,
Steve
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

zildjian2003

Post by zildjian2003 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 am

Great....Thanks for the help.

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:08 am

the IPR series even has the 100hz crossover if you want to use it.

racertrash

Post by racertrash » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Also, when you decide which amp or maybe two you think you want, take a look at the used market, sometimes you can get a real good amp cheaper :)

As it has been said, EVERY BODY SING TOGETHER NOW
Buy one time and cry one time :)

I am curious, what do you mean for micing your bass drum??

Can you expand on that a bit? I think I know what you mean but I think we should make sure.

zildjian2003

Post by zildjian2003 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Well in my band, my bass drums can not be heard over the guitars (two half stacks). I have to mic my bass drums so I can hear myself over everyone else playing. I know its hard to believe that the bass drums cant be heard, but its true. The style of drumming I do (metal music) the bass drums are a very important part of the way I play. Ive been using a 15" powered amp, but now I'm looking to step up to two 18" subs to get a deeper sound and more volume. Is there an amp anyone can point out to me that would power two of these monsters? I'm sorry, but I'm a drummer and dont really get into audio very much.

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:08 am

zildjian2003 wrote:but now I'm looking to step up to two 18" subs to get a deeper sound and more volume. Is there an amp anyone can point out to me that would power two of these monsters?
If you are still looking at the PV-118s, then:
SemperFiSound wrote:260w to 340w is the range you are shooting for.
The IPR-1600 at 300w/8 ohms per side would be a great pairing and at 7lbs, it won't kill you and at $289 or so, it is pretty darn inexpensive.
Questions?

Cheers,
Steve
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:40 am

My last gig I wrangled a PV118D (the powered version) under a PV15M for the drummers monitor rig and he was real happy with it. Might be an idea for your monitors...........
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

JGLAS

Post by JGLAS » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:22 am

Z3,

Are you planning on using some subs only? All you're going to get is a wooof! You won't get any attack, or perceived volume. I've tried this long ago. You need the whole audio spectrum to reproduce kick drum. There is the strong possibility you will be disappointed if you are using only subs for kick drum.

If these subs are joining some mid/hi enclosures then cool. Go mic. a kick drum and run the signal through the subs only and tell me what you think. I just wanted to share my experience because I am a drummer and I've tried this exact thing.

The problem is not your volume, it's the guitarists running halfstacks. I'm sorry guys, but these big guitar cabinets are too much, and you guys actually think they sound good, but nobody has been honest with you. Nobody wants to hear your 412 cabinet turned up to the point of sheer audio discomfort, meanwhile you guys think everyone likes your tone and actually nobody does :twisted:

If you add more volume gain to an already too loud stage, what's going to happen when someone else wants to turn up. Anyway, sorry about the little rant, I've just been there and done that.

This might be something to consider, just build a nice two box drum stage monitor. Maybe a 118 and a 2way enclosure. This would reproduce the kick drum nicely, and give you some real volume. On occasion I've seen SP118s new for not too much more than a PV118. I would do a two enclosure SP setup (SP118 and SP2). Ultimately this could become your personal monitor and you could get a sweet mix from the board. Take care....

Jason

zildjian2003

Post by zildjian2003 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks for the input guys.

Jason -
Well right now with my one 15" powered sub, I like the sound, but it still barely comes out over the rest of my music. Really all I'm looking for is to feel the bass hit when I kick the bass drum. If I could hear it too...that would just be a bonus. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.

Maybe just adding another powered 15" will do it, or trading my 15" in for an 18". Not sure, but I just figured Id go big and then turn it down if I was killing everyone else...hahaha.

Rhino437

Post by Rhino437 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:04 am

zildjian,

I was wondering what type of microphone you are using. Different microphones have different pickup patterns and different pickup frequencies. Some microphones are not meant for a bass drum because they are designed in a way that vocalist can use them.

I currently have 2 of the PV118's and love them but I'm not a heavy metal drum player. Most drummers that I know like a LOT of bass drum. I'm not sure if you play in a club or what the venue is. Do you plan to put this speaker next to you? Is this front of house speakers that you are wanting?

If this is a front of house speaker then I would recommend no less than the SP118's. These will give you that punch that you need and you will feel it even if it is at the front of the stage. I would just keep a 2-way 15" and horn for your monitor.

Please let us know what exactly you are using this for and what kind of microphone you are using.

Thanks,
Ryan

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:15 am

zildjian2003 wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

Really all I'm looking for is to feel the bass hit when I kick the bass drum. If I could hear it too...that would just be a bonus. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.
Buttkickers to the rescue. Really common amongst drummers that use in-ear monitors.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro