corrected question: using a gps1500 with a cs-800

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
madmetal

corrected question: using a gps1500 with a cs-800

Post by madmetal » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:12 am

correcting some info after seeing in the store - will do some more research but would still be interested if this could work

As title says, looking for a second amp to use with CS-800 for bi-amp. Re-reading the manual as the store had the amp posted wrong.
Question would be, is the gps1500 worth looking at as it seems to only have parallel, stereo and bridge configurations where i was looking for a bi-amp setup. I am just shopping local markets, so this or a yamaha p5000s is all that's available at the moment.

To my amateur level knowledge, my understand to take advantage of the cs-800 cross over (is it worth it for key\guitar\drum band pa using sp2 gen2 ) would be as follows. use the pl2 and pl800 eq cans on the cs800. My understanding is this forces things into a bi-amp mode.

I finally have all the cs-800 jumpers & plugs (pl2& pl800 eqs) for use with cs-800. Also have xlr to pin swap the sound source coming from motu stage 16 which would line out thru a balanced xlr pin2 hot.

Again many thanks for your knowledge and help

Dookie

Re: corrected question: using a gps1500 with a cs-800

Post by Dookie » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:58 pm

The GPS 1500 is 320 watts at 8 ohms so it would be better for you to use it for the woofer on the SP2.
Setup.

1. Go from your source into the XLR input of the CS800 with an XLR that has Pin 3 as hot.
2. Have the dummy plug as in this photo plugged in.
3. Have the 800EQ crossover can in the crossover plug
4. On the Crossover Out take the High out and go into the Power Amp In. This can be an unbalanced short 1/4-inch cable. This will make the CS800 put
out 800hz and above out it's 1/4 and banana plugs in the power amp out section.
5. In the crossover out section now take the Low Out and go into the GPS1500 with a 1/4-inch short, unbalanced cable.

I'd have the GPS and CS800 plugged into the same power source. This will give you 320 watts to the woofer and 240 watts to the horn for a 560 watt Bi-Amp system. It should be a close match. You can always use the input sensitivity knobs to better balance the horn to the woofer as needed.

You repeat this same setup for the "B" channel on the CS800 with the other channel from your pre-amp for stereo .

Hope this helps.
Doug
Power amp setup.JPG
Power amp setup.JPG (144.62 KiB) Viewed 3061 times

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:10 am

madmetal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:12 am
correcting some info after seeing in the store - will do some more research but would still be interested if this could work

As title says, looking for a second amp to use with CS-800 for bi-amp. Re-reading the manual as the store had the amp posted wrong.
Question would be, is the gps1500 worth looking at as it seems to only have parallel, stereo and bridge configurations where i was looking for a bi-amp setup. I am just shopping local markets, so this or a yamaha p5000s is all that's available at the moment.

To my amateur level knowledge, my understand to take advantage of the cs-800 cross over (is it worth it for key\guitar\drum band pa using sp2 gen2 ) would be as follows. use the pl2 and pl800 eq cans on the cs800. My understanding is this forces things into a bi-amp mode.

I finally have all the cs-800 jumpers & plugs (pl2& pl800 eqs) for use with cs-800. Also have xlr to pin swap the sound source coming from motu stage 16 which would line out thru a balanced xlr pin2 hot.

Again many thanks for your knowledge and help
I wanted to add if you do have the PL2 Balancing Transformers then use them in socket 2. I missed that part in your post.
Doug

madmetal

Post by madmetal » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 am

Hi Doug,
As always, thanks for the input. I was trying to match the schema you gave to the ones on the lids & manual. So i think i get it, in that your layout is a hybrid of the Bi-amp sit #1 balanced lo z. -highs being routed to the 800 inputs to go out through its outputs. Lows being routed off to the gsp
Whats messing with me, is in the manual diagram, using the Pl2 & pl1, they show one channel (B) hi jumped within the channel but then the low jumped over to channel A

So just to make sure i'm not going to smoke anything.
-Both amps are set to stereo mode
- 800 has pl2 and eq plugs on both A & B
-800 has the high feeds for both A&B going into each channels power amp input
-800 1/4 or bannana will feed highs on sp2
-800 low x-over out from each channel feeds inputs of each gps channel
Seems almost silly to be verifying the deviation as it makes sense, but wouldn't be the first time somebody said, "seemed like a good idea at the time...btw FIRE"

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:54 am

...........Hi Doug,
As always, thanks for the input. I was trying to match the schema you gave to the ones on the lids & manual. So i think i get it, in that your layout is a hybrid of the Bi-amp sit #1 balanced lo z. -highs being routed to the 800 inputs to go out through its outputs. Lows being routed off to the gsp
What's messing with me, is in the manual diagram, using the Pl2 & pl1, they show one channel (B) hi jumped within the channel but then the low jumped over to channel A................

(( The "Power Amp Inputs" are Switching Jacks. When something is plugged into them it breaks the internal "Patch" that is shown on the top of the amp. The diagram on top is correct if there is nothing plugged into the power amp input jacks. )))

So just to make sure i'm not going to smoke anything.
-Both amps are set to stereo mode (yes)

- 800 has pl2 and eq plugs on both A & B ((( When you say EQ Plugs I believe your saying 800EQ crossover cans that go into the Crossover sockets in the CS800 which is correct )))

-800 has the high feeds for both A&B going into each channels power amp input (yes, A high crossover out to A Power amp in. B high crossover out to B Power amp in)

-800 1/4 or bannana will feed highs on sp2 (Yes, the CS800 channel Power Amp out A will feed Bi-Amp High in on one SP2 and Power amp out B will feed the other Bi-Amp High in on the other SP2)

-800 low x-over out from each channel feeds inputs of each gps channel (Yes, from Channel A the on the CS800 Bi-Amp Low crossover out jack will go into A power amp input on the GPS. Then "A" power amp out on the GPS will go into Bi-Amp Low on the same speaker A power amp out is feeding 800hz and above from the CS800. Then the B Crossover Low out on the CS800 will feed B power amp in on the GPS. The B Power amp out on the GPS will go to the Bi-Amp Low input on the same speaker the B power amp out is feeding from the CS800. ) **** On the SP2's. The Bi-Amp Low and Bi-Amp high input jacks are Switching Jacks as well. You'll notice they are black plastic in construction. These "Break" connection to the passive crossover inside the SP2 and are a direct shot to the Horn driver via Bi-Amp high and a direct shot to the Woofer Via Bi-Amp low. The plastic construction prevents them from being grounded together via the metal plate they are sharing in the back of the plate. That is why you need a crossover before these input jacks to feed each driver the correct frequency range.

Your building a Bi-Amp system. In simple terms A is going into a crossover. The Highs are going into the CS800 A inputs to feed 800hz and above into the Bi-Amp High on one SP2. The Bi-Amp Low is feeding input A on the GPS to go out its A power amp out and going into Bi-Amp Low on the same speaker that is getting highs from the CS800. CS800 A for highs, GPS A for the lows. Then the B side of the amps will feed the Bi-Amp High in and Bi-Amp Low in on the other SP2.

Seems almost silly to be verifying the deviation as it makes sense, but wouldn't be the first time somebody said, "seemed like a good idea at the time...btw FIRE" ....This is the best way to go!....

madmetal

Post by madmetal » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:26 pm

Hey Doug,
Just wanted to thank you again for all your help. Everything is up and running without issue. You were an invaluable source of help with a ton of patience to get me set up.
Thanks again
Timmy

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:15 pm

madmetal wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:26 pm
Hey Doug,
Just wanted to thank you again for all your help. Everything is up and running without issue. You were an invaluable source of help with a ton of patience to get me set up.
Thanks again
Timmy
Glad you got it up and running and it is doing what you need. Someday you may run into someone who needs a hand, and you can help them.
Although your gear has been around for a while it still will put out some great sound. Another testament to Peavey quality.

Take care;
Doug