IPR-1600 to RCA?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
Corp

IPR-1600 to RCA?

Post by Corp » Fri May 20, 2022 3:38 pm

Hello, first post here. This might be frowned upon but I am trying to wire an RCA cable to the XLR combo jack directly from the board. Could someone tell me what pins correspond to what XLR pins? That way I can wire the RCA correctly.

I do not mind audio quality, I just want to see if the amp functions.

Ive done some probing but ended up more confused. Pin 2 had continuity to the Left and the Middle pin of first picture. Pin 3 had continuity to the right most pin and Pin 1 was grounded to chassis. The prong at the bottom of the plug is also grounded to chassis. The top prong does nothing from what i can tell.

Why does the + pin have continuity on 2 of the pins on board? Which one should i use to wire the RCA?
Attachments
Three pins that come off the back of the XLR/TLS combo jack
Three pins that come off the back of the XLR/TLS combo jack
20220520_153447.jpg (993.84 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
20220520_153547.jpg
20220520_153547.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1870 times

dak

Re: IPR-1600 to RCA?

Post by dak » Sat May 21, 2022 8:58 am

Corp wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:38 pm
Why does the + pin have continuity on 2 of the pins on board? Which one should i use to wire the RCA?
Presumably there is a switch in the combo socket that opens when a particular plug type gets inserted (probably the TRS plug as its form is better suited for operating a switch). Check out what happens to the continuity when plugging in a TRS plug, and when plugging in an XLR plug.

You'll probably want to emulate plugging in a TS plug with your RCA socket. RCA/TS adapters are small and cheap, so the motivation for adding an additional source for noise trouble into the amp and for wiring conflicts (and value loss) seems comparatively dubious to me.

And I say that after adding a mini-XLR input to an amp myself (because I considered it saner to use the amp for powering an electret mic than additional batteries, but it turns out that a setup that will cause a live mic input to jump by several volts when getting plugged/unplugged is a bit risque). There was some motivation for that because you cannot easily tap power otherwise (at least not when lacking phantom-powered XLR).

In contrast, there is really no motivation for fudging on a separate RCA socket as adapters can easily do the job.

Bartman

Re: IPR-1600 to RCA?

Post by Bartman » Mon May 23, 2022 8:50 am

I agree with dak, just get an RCA to phone plug adapter, like the attached pic...
RCA to phone.jpg
RCA to phone.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 1840 times