DECA/724 - Looking for schematic...

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
LandonRobinson

DECA/724 - Looking for schematic...

Post by LandonRobinson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:20 am

Hi, I bought a used DECA/724 knowing that it had problems for $100, but I've been an electronics tech for 36 years and this seemed like something fun to do.

I bought it knowing that three of the four binding posts on the back were snapped off and one of the channels didn't work, it was in a rack mount that was buy all or get nothing, and the guy wanted everything else in the rack except this thing and sold it just to get rid of it, he never really tried to figure anything out and just wanted it gone.

Anyway... I have the entire back of it off and luckily neither circuit board was cracked, I have all four binding posts unsoldered from the circuit board and have new ones ordered and on the way, the fuse holder was also broken and I found the wires just twisted together with electrical tape around them, and funny enough the roll of electrical tape was still sitting next to the toroid transformer in the bottom of the chassis, I keep spare fuse holders so when it comes time to put the back on it will be replaced.

The big fat 47 ohm resistor sitting next to the inductor coil on the main amplifier circuit board for the A Channel had been seriously hot and scorched the circuit board, I pulled that entire section out, separated the two stacked circuit boards from it, unsoldered the big long screw and pulled all of the heat sinks off of everything...

The two IRF-240 TO-3 MOSFETs are fried, one won't even test and the other is shorted from the Gate to Drain, those are on order and on the way, the four diodes that are bolted to the heat sink are testing ok, but that big fat 47 ohm resistor is testing 28 ohms (out of circuit) and its sister 47 ohm resistor on the other side of the board is testing 23 ohms (this is with a Fluke 115 DMM not a cheap Harbor Freight DMM), so I need to order those and get them replaced, but...

I'm not sure what wattage they are does anyone know? They look like they might be 5 watts, maybe 7.

I would also like a schematic for this thing, I don't need the -entire- amp just the power amp section where the two IRF-240 MOSFETs are, does anyone know where I can get one for free?

Thanks,

-Landon

Enzo

Re: DECA/724 - Looking for schematic...

Post by Enzo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Customer service at Peavey. Your source for any Peavey schematic.

The DECA/700 has an extensive service manual complete with scope waveforms. I have no idea how similar or different is the 724. Looking at owner manual, they sure look the same to me.

LandonRobinson

Post by LandonRobinson » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Enzo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:29 pm
Customer service at Peavey. Your source for any Peavey schematic.

The DECA/700 has an extensive service manual complete with scope waveforms. I have no idea how similar or different is the 724. Looking at owner manual, they sure look the same to me.
I have emailed "[email protected]", "[email protected]", and have so far not received any replies and its been two weeks, I even called the Customer Service phone number and there is no menu system and it just automatically goes to a voice mail box of "Chris" and not "Hi this is Chris with the Peavey company, please..." just "Chris" does anyone know if they are actually open and responding to people's emails and voice mail?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:20 pm

First off the customer service email is this:

[email protected] Try that.

Also on contact page 877-732-8391 Should be customer service, and if you get voice mail, well leave the message.

May I suggest: Hi, my name is, my phone is, my email is. I have a DECA724 serial number ???? and I need service documentation for repairs.

On the forum you could direct a personal message to Roger Crimm, our host.

LandonRobinson

Post by LandonRobinson » Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Long story short... Chris did get back to me, he is the Customer Service Manager for Peavey and everyone is working from home and they are working with a skeleton crew doing the best that they can to keep up with things.

Chris is very gracious and polite and sent me both the service manual and the electronic schematic for this 724 model.

I'm waiting on a parts order to arrive sometime next week and then I can finish up repairs on this thing and then actually turn it on for the first time and see what happens, hopefully the smoke genie stays in her bottle.