Does this older Peavey 2x12 have a common ground ?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
aj6stringsting

Does this older Peavey 2x12 have a common ground ?

Post by aj6stringsting » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:10 am

I am using two Crate Power Blocks; one to run at 8 ohms, at 150 watts into a Laney 4x12 cabinet and the other CPB is going into a Peavey 2x12 cabinet with two Sheffield.

The owners manual states, that I can't use a speaker cabinet with a shared ground because it would activate a protection circuit in the Crate Power Block.
Do the older Peavey 2x12 cabs have a shared common ground ?

studiodtk5

Re: Does this older Peavey 2x12 have a common ground ?

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:31 am

I assume they are talking about running speakers in parallel. It seems like an odd way to state this.

Most likely the Peavey 212 has the speakers connected in parallel. This would allow the cabinet to still operate with one speaker going bad.

I think you should just look at the impedance of the two cabinets and make sure you stay in spec with the Crate amplifier.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

dak

Post by dak » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:15 am

I think this warning is about using two power blocks on a single cabinet with two inputs (usually low/high for a woofer and a horn speaker) for bi-amping in mono/bridge mode.

That is likely to fail with some cabinets (like those for which bi-amping is optional and they substitute their own passive crossover when you don't use lo/hi inputs) because in mono/bridge mode, the power block outputs are not outputting GND/+ but -/+ speaker signals, and connecting the - of two different signals is a bad idea.

However, with one cabinet per amp you should be fine as long as the cabinets are not connected in some other way to a common ground.

aj6stringsting

Post by aj6stringsting » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:04 pm

I am running one Crate Power Block in a Peavey 2x12 cab loaded with two 1230 Sheffield speakers and the other Crate Power Block will Power my Laney 4x12 cabinet loaded with Celession Greenbacks and Fane speakers .