Next step to upgrade sub volume

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
philmguitar

Next step to upgrade sub volume

Post by philmguitar » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:29 am

Looking to upgrade our PA

Current Bi-amp set up
Amp1 (pv2600) cross over on, high outs into input of amp 2
Running subs 4ohms ul115

Amp 2 (Ipr2 3000)
Running Tops 4ohm Ul15

We have found in bigger venues the subs do not seem loud enough. Plenty of volume available for the tops planning to turn down ipr2 3000 in fact. To increase volume for subs any suggestions? Would you try bigger amp or bigger bins first.

Option 1 try bigger ul118s
Option 2 try pv3800 to power the subs

Bartman

Re: Next step to upgrade sub volume

Post by Bartman » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:09 am

A bigger amp would get you hardly any more output from those subs, and might result in damaging them. You definitely need to upgrade to bigger subs like a pair of SP218. These will give you a lot more bass, even if you under-power them compared to a pair of UL115 at optimal power. Dual 18" drivers can simply push a lot more air mass than single 15". (exceptions with folded horn cabinets or other acoustical tricks)

Josjor

Re: Next step to upgrade sub volume

Post by Josjor » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:30 pm

What Bartman said..... unless you're like me. :D

I would rather haul two single-driver cabinets than one dual-driver cabinet. It's just a lot easier for one guy to set up. So here is your other option: find another pair of Ul15 subs. I'm admittedly lazy and not going to look up the specs on those speakers, but, if necessary, also add a suitable amplifier to handle running all four subs together. This will (mathematically) double your output of low end.

Now, if you want lower frequencies as well, upgrade to some 18" subs. If you want lower frequencies PLUS lower back pain, get some 218's. :lol:
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro