Frequency response: 60 Hz - 17.5 kHz. Shelving eq

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
philmguitar

Frequency response: 60 Hz - 17.5 kHz. Shelving eq

Post by philmguitar » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:00 am

Another novice question…
I have a pair of ul115 Frequency response: 60 Hz - 17.5 kHz. The low cut on the amp is set to 40hz. The low eq on the desk is 100hz shelving. I assume I want to avoid Turning up any 50hz, however as it’s a shelving eq turning up the low eq everything under 100hz is turned up. That’s okay for the 60-100hz as the speaker can handle that, same for 20-40hz as that’s been cut out by the low cut. Not sure how to handle the 50hz. Any ideas or have I got this completely wrong.

dak

Re: Frequency response: 60 Hz - 17.5 kHz. Shelving eq

Post by dak » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:59 am

The frequency response tells you what a speaker will handle in terms of reproducing an adequate volume rather than just turning the input into heat. Make no mistake: apart from horn speaker drivers, any speaker will turn the overwhelming majority of its input into heat directly rather than emitting it in the form of sound. The tapering off in the low frequencies will be more natural without a low-cut.

Things are different only if there is no tapering off because you actually use a subwoofer, but then it should come with its own frequency crossover usually.

Problems are only expected if you attempt to compensate for the tapering off at low frequencies by turning the low basses up, or if you drive the speaker at the limit of its output power with very bass-drum heavy input (a bass guitar starts at 41Hz and carries much of its persuasion in the overtones rather than its fundamental frequencies) or church organ music (one genre of music that can have a whole lot of continuous fundamental-frequency-heavy very loud low notes). In that case, a cut-off will let the speaker focus on what it can reproduce convincingly.

TLDR: except when needing all the available speaker power in PA situations, I wouldn't bother. And in that case, a subwoofer with its own crossover might be the way to go for the low frequencies.