Need some help with Series 2 setup

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Zephy1234

Need some help with Series 2 setup

Post by Zephy1234 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:35 am

Hello all, I'm a bit new to the forum.

I have recently acquired two "Project 2" stacks from a local guy cleaning out his shop. Each stack is comprised of a MFX-1, MB-2, and FH-1.

I'm a younger guy that's just dipping his toes into professional audio gear. (I'm used to studio environment sound systems but jot PA) I have absolutely fallen in love with these giant, hulking behemoths. Both stacks are currently powered by a XR600B amp/mixer.

One of the MB-2s wasn't sounding right so I opened it up, per the recommendation of some forum posts, to clean the foam gunk out. I did, but I messed up the voice coil in the process. Finding a new 1202-4 assembly is proving to be an absolute pain.

I am wondering if there is somewhere that can repair this speaker, or if it's worth looking into replacing the set of them with new drivers. I've read that these are horn loaded enclosures and that the 1202-4 is built specifically for this application. I am open to different models, brands, what have you. I am on a budget, but am open to spending cash if it is worth it.

Secondly, these are placed in a 4,000sqft warehouse where we love to jam our tunes. I believe the next step once everything is functional is to send some proper power to these puppies. I've been reading into some guys triamp-ing these with good results. What are some price-point second hand amps/EQs that I can look into to make these scream? (Or is that xr600b pushing them already?)

Thirdly, I love how these sound as they are, and I know the FH-1 aren't subs so I don't treat them as such, but a few of the guys in the shop do enjoy their hip hop, and the FH-1s really don't hit deep. (Especially since I roll off the lows on the mixer, due to the recommendation that these can burn up if overdriven in the real low frequencies)
Are there any good subs that pair well with these? Can be new, can be a little old school, they will be the last addition to the set up, so I'm willing to save up for a bit for something worth it.

TL;DR: I have some project 2 stacks that need a replacement speaker/repair for one (maybe both) of the Black Widow 1202-4 speakers in the MB-2s, as well as recommendations for a price point tri amp and EQ set up. After that is settled and these are making the noise they need to, I'd like to add some large subs to take care of the really low frequencies.

Thank you all for your help and input. All of it is appreciated.