How to wire Speakons for ul115 Subs

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
philmguitar

How to wire Speakons for ul115 Subs

Post by philmguitar » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:09 am

I am having little trouble not seeming to get much bass out of my small set up. Can you help check the set up please.

I am using a IPR2 3000 amp. One channel is powering subs 2 x ul115 subs and the other channel is powering 2 ul 15 tops.

Each channel has the option to have either hi pass, full range or subwoofer. The channel for the subs should be on subwoofer and the other channel set to hi pass

I refer back to the manual and I am confused on how I should have the speakon cables wired for the subs(in terms of -1 to +1 etc). I know the speakon cable connecting the two subs together has to be wired differently to the one to what’s coming from the amp into the first sub. I note that they have to be wired a certain way to disconnect the subs internal crossover which I assume should be off. I am concerned it’s not wired correctly as there is not much bass. For your reference here is the link to the two manuals:

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/ma ... _12464.pdf

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/75633 ... =18#manual

Hope you can help

Bartman

Re: How to wire Speakons for ul115 Subs

Post by Bartman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:54 am

How do you currently have them cabled? In order to connect two subs on one channel, and two tops on the other channel, you would need a splitter at the amp since it has only one output jack for each channel (not counting that one jack has the second channel connected to +2-2).

The easiest way to connect everything up using only the equipment listed is to run the amp in stereo, full-range, cabling from amp to sub full-range input, then sub's highpass out to top speaker.

If you had a second amp, then you could bi-amp the system with each amp's ch. 1 to subs and ch. 2 to tops.

philmguitar

Post by philmguitar » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:28 pm

No need for a splitter I don’t think as the speakers themselves have a link out. Channel A set to Hi pass it’s output goes to one Ul15 and then link to the other ul15.

Channel B set to subwoofer and then the output goes to one sub and then link to the other.

The reasoning for not running in stereo in this case, is so it makes 2ohms so there is more wattage taken from amp. Have got a second amp but this setup is for smaller venues/easier set up.

Hope you can help

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:52 am

philmguitar wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:28 pm
No need for a splitter I don’t think as the speakers themselves have a link out. Channel A set to Hi pass it’s output goes to one Ul15 and then link to the other ul15.

Channel B set to subwoofer and then the output goes to one sub and then link to the other.

The reasoning for not running in stereo in this case, is so it makes 2ohms so there is more wattage taken from amp. Have got a second amp but this setup is for smaller venues/easier set up.

Hope you can help
According to the documentation, the "link out" on the sub is only for connecting a top speaker, so connecting the second sub to that will get nothing. This would explain why you don't have much bass. If you connect the Channel B to first subwoofer's "full-range" input, the "high-pass" link socket will output whatever amount of signal is leftover from passing through its internal crossover, which might be slightly audible in the second sub, but essentially nothing.
If you connect the Channel B to the first subwoofer's "Bi-amp" input, then this disconnects the internal crossover, and the "high-pass" link output will be absolutely nothing unless you are using a 4-conductor cable going to the first sub from the amp AND have the +1 +2 wires tied together and the -1 -2 wires tied together somewhere inside the cable, because the B channel of the amp only has the +1 -1 contacts enabled. The A channel is different, as it has Channel A on its +1 -1 contacts, and Channel B on Channel A's +2 -2 contacts.

Therefore, you will either need to get a splitter for the subs like this: https://www.inta-audio.com/qtx-speakon- ... ead-p12477
or just do it right by either always using two amps if you want to run the system bi-amped (amp 1, sub on one channel top on other channel, then repeat for amp 2), or run the system using the sub's built-in passive crossovers, so Amp ch.1 to one sub full-range input, then high-pass link out to top speaker, then repeat for other set of speakers from amp ch. 2.

philmguitar

Post by philmguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:06 am

Many thanks for your reply that’s is very helpful!