Peavey SP2 V2

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Jbest123

Peavey SP2 V2

Post by Jbest123 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:03 pm

Hi guys,

Just a quick question! :)

I have 4 Peavey Sp2’s V2 and was wondering if I stack one on top of another but the top one inverted, would you still get the horns to couple together and get that extra 6db ?

Was curious because of the new Quadratic Throat Waveguide 15 degrees up and 35 degrees down.

If it isn’t recommended I’m fine with putting them side by side with 6-10 feet separation.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Dookie

Re: Peavey SP2 V2

Post by Dookie » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:16 pm

First of course make sure they are properly secured should you try this. When putting the top one upside down the 15 degrees up becomes 15 degrees down and will help lessen the overlap of coverage that normal horns may give. With the bottom speaker only going up 15 degrees and the one on top going down 15 degrees this is much better than 22.5 degrees normal horns would give. Best thing is it is easy to give it a try. Set up a stack and give it a listen. I see the 15 degrees up horn as an advantage when coupling speakers like this.

Doug

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:45 am

Most of the sound from the top speaker will be going up to nowhere, so the coupling effect isn't going to work. I do this all the time with my regular straight forward horn speakers and they do couple very well and the sound projects much farther than a single speaker.

dak

Post by dak » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:31 am

"That extra 6dB" from two sound sources with the same signal amplitude is a mixed blessing. Of course you don't get more than double the power from 2 speakers, namely 3dB. Yet double the amplitude insinuates four times the power. The apparent contradiction is resolved by beam forming at least with regard to the tweeters: you get 6dB in the straightforward direction, but it is offset all-in-all by extinctions off-axis.

Stacking horns vertically makes for a narrower height distribution which can be a good idea in open-air scenarios though it will not make all that much of a difference in closed rooms. However, the Peavey speakers you talk about already limit the amount of sound energy sent into the sky by angling the sound downward. Stacking a reversed speaker on top will only moderately increase the on-axis performance and mostly serve the birds with regard to higher frequencies.

For low frequencies, adding another synchronously acting speaker close by will make either work against a larger air resistance (since they try to produce pressure when the other already puts forward pressure), making them more efficient. So you actually can get more than 3dB of gain without violating conservation of energy since more energy converts into sound rather than speaker heat. It depends on the kind of acoustic load the enclosure already presents to the speaker whether coupling two speakers might significantly increase the mechanical resistance (and thus efficiency of energy transfer from membrane to soundwaves).

Of course, the resulting frequency responses and polar patterns are not identical with that of a single speaker.

Jbest123

Post by Jbest123 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:32 pm

Thanks a lot guys,

My back yard isn’t big enough for me to try it out and neighbours might complain 🙄!

Might bring it out to my buddies place and annoy his neighbours instead.

And yes I would secure it, one wind gust and they’d tumble down.

This was more of a curiosity then actually doing it. But I might still give it a go just to see. I do have a small outdoor gig coming up!

I still own the Peavey Hdh-3 and Hdh-4 but ther’re just to heavy. Retired them 4 years ago but miss how far they throw compared to the Sp2’s over Qw118’s.

Any hoot I appreciate you guys input, and help.

All the best

Jbest

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:21 pm

In regard to the 20 degrees up, 70 degrees down coverage of the horn. The SPL drops as you go into the lower coverage of the horn. Less energy goes down 70 degrees. You'll find output decreases the lower you go on the horn's coverage pattern. This means the one upside down is not sending the same output of Highs 70 degrees up as it is 20 degrees down. Having the top and bottom speaker have less output where they are closes together stacked is a definite advantage and, depending on frequency in the horn range and distance apart some frequencies will couple and give a solid output in the center area of the 2 horns. The 2 horns will act as a single one. I have speaker systems that are designed to run as either a single speaker or the top one inverted to couple the 2 speaker's horns, so they act as one. * DB Technologies IG4T and IG2T * The coverage of these boxes is 20 degrees up, 70 degrees down. This gives good coverage when they are coupled yet a good coverage when I use just 1 a side. When coupled you'll have the loudest spl in the center of the 2 horns and less as the coverage is higher and lower than the center of the horns. The red area in photo. Just food for thought.
Horns coupled.JPG
Horns coupled.JPG (35.05 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
Stacked IG4T's and sub 01.jpg
Stacked IG4T's and sub 01.jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
https://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/produ ... enia-ig4t/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCYYAsTUd0&t=3s

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:36 pm

One last comment to think about. Have you thought about Dual PA? Still have 2 speakers a side but have just vocals in 1 speaker and the rest of the band in the other. Have the band in the system that has the subs should you have some as the vocal speaker system often doesn't need subs to do the job. Because the speakers have different sources coming out of them there won't be the same phase issues as if you had the exact same thing coming out of both speakers. This gives you headroom as each system is only doing a certain part of the band.
Again, just something to think about

Jbest123

Post by Jbest123 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:11 pm

Thanks Dookie,

Never really thought about dual p.a. Seems weird but I’ll definitely try it at some point during the summer ( you’ve captured my curiosity).

I definitely have enough amps and gear to do it! Lol

2- ipr2 7500 dsp
3-cs 800s
1-qsc dmx 1450
2- Behringer ep2500

Anyhoot thanks for the info and when I get a chance to try it, I’ll let you guys know my preference!

Cheers,

Jbest