Peavey 412ms wiring

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Sethcao

Peavey 412ms wiring

Post by Sethcao » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:48 pm

Hello everyone.

First time posting so I apologize for any rule infringement.

I bought a used peavey 412ms. It has a switch on the back to turn it from mono to stereo.
I want to replace the stock speakers (sheffields 16 ohms) by four 8 ohm celestion speakers I have.

My question is, can I just swap them and maintain the wiring? Would that make the cab a 4 ohm?

I am a noob in regards to parallel, series and series parallel wiring, and I dont even know what wiring it is currently using, but it is running on my amp on the 8 ohm output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JamesPaul

Re: Peavey 412ms wiring

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:50 pm

Sethcao wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:48 pm
Hello everyone.

First time posting so I apologize for any rule infringement.

I bought a used peavey 412ms. It has a switch on the back to turn it from mono to stereo.
I want to replace the stock speakers (sheffields 16 ohms) by four 8 ohm celestion speakers I have.

My question is, can I just swap them and maintain the wiring? Would that make the cab a 4 ohm?

I am a noob in regards to parallel, series and series parallel wiring, and I dont even know what wiring it is currently using, but it is running on my amp on the 8 ohm output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Currently it should be 16 ohms mono, and 8 ohms per side stereo.

If you keep the wiring the same, four 8 ohm speakers will make it 8 ohms mono, and 4 ohms per side stereo.

If you are running the cabinet in mono, and you are using a tube amp, you are pushing your output tranformer a little harder than you need to be. You could switch your amp to 16 ohms to match the cabinet impedance. Solid state amp output stage likely will not care, but still no need to mismatch impedance if you do not have to.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.