Store Black Widow Magnets?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
rhodesworks

Store Black Widow Magnets?

Post by rhodesworks » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:56 am

I have a number of Black Widow and Scorpion magnets (half dozen of each) and need to find out how to store them in as little space as possible. Can they be stacked one on top of another perhaps with some cardboard in between them? Any other suggestions?
I will also need to change storage spaces soon and will need to transport them, so suggestions for that as well would be appreciated.
Thanks!

dak

Re: Store Black Widow Magnets?

Post by dak » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:11 am

The usual advice for magnets is to store them such that they are attracting rather than repelling. Now speaker magnets usually already form an almost complete magnetic circuit (apart from the air gap) when assembled, so there is not a lot you can do wrong when combining them. You'd want to avoid mechanically instable configurations anyway so you'd not look for the most repellent setups. The largest danger is likely chipping magnets when they decide to fly off.

Putting cardboard between any two will likely make it easier to separate them without things falling over.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:09 am

SO you have removed them from the baskets? Leaving the gap exposed? Then whatever else you do, cover the entire gap with masking tape or similar to keep dirt and dust out

Yes, I'd also add a piece of cardboard between each. And yes do avoid chipping or cracking your magnets.

rhodesworks

Post by rhodesworks » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:58 am

Thanks for the replies thus far.
Yes, the gaps were covered as soon as they came off the baskets.