No low output from Impulse 500

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
c64954

No low output from Impulse 500

Post by c64954 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:57 pm

Hey everyone, got a pair of older impulse 500's laying around and only one works. The other gets high output (maybe a little faint) but absolutely no low output using either full range input or even the biamped low input. It doesn't look like the bulb has busted open, but this polyswitch does look busted open. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the polyswitch/bulb this was to protect to the HF driver rather than the woofer? If the polyswitch is actually busted open then why am I still getting high output? I hope the woofer isn't totally blown, because It doesn't look like Peavey makes the model 1554 BW anymore (manual https://manualzz.com/doc/46246821/peave ... r-s-manual) and 4ohm BW replacements are looking a little expensive. I don't really NEED both it would just be cool if they worked, I don't know how much is worth actually putting into it if a replacement woofer is going to be over $200. Am I way off on my assumption about this protection circuit? Any insight would be super helpful, thank you!

Bartman

Re: No low output from Impulse 500

Post by Bartman » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:58 am

Just to be sure, you did try swapping the two speakers around to make sure the problem isn't also with the amp or speaker cable, right? If you plug in a known good amp and cable to the low input and get no sound from the woofer, then the woofer is bad. See if you can press on the cone with your hands to check for movement, and listen for any scratching sounds from the voice coil rubbing inside the magnet structure.