Dead Horse

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
EricStJohn

Dead Horse

Post by EricStJohn » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:43 pm

Forgive me, good Peavey Peaple... Let's beat this dead horse a little more, shall we? (Yes! I did a search of the forum!)
I have recently acquired a "square logo" 410 TVX (FOUR OHMS MODEL) by way of trade and it's missing 3 speakers. The one has no information except for its Peavey sticker saying it's a Model 121-4 (4Ω imp). TVX cabs are alleged to be loaded with Emmy Sheffields. Now here's the fun part: as little as just a few years ago, I used to be able to call Meridian and get fast answers to fairly simple questions. Or emails would be promptly answered. But it seems now that ever since Daddy Hartley retired, the customer support has absolutely TANKED. I have a garage full of Peavey amps, guitars, speakers... and I'm blown away at how far down the food chain Peavey has gone...
That said, let's try to rebuild this old box, yes? Either I'm going to buy four new third party 4Ω drivers or four 16Ω drivers so I can get the math right when I wire it up. I think I might have a handle on that. Bear in mind before suggesting Legends or something that I'm on VA and SS so, naturally, I'm always broke. Now let's investigate power handling. My TVX touts 700W Program/ 350W RMS. My amp is an old MK IV which touts 210W @ 4Ω/ 300W @ 2Ω when using two cabs in the paralleled outputs. I also have a 115BW (4Ω) to get to that.
SO::: these new drivers... toss four 100W drivers in there? I really don't want to mix my impedance coming from the head. And I'm unsure what will happen if I say to heck with it and find a fully functional (cheap) 8Ω cab to drive with (I suppose) a 2Ω signal... Hey, I'm a drummer, not a physicist...
Thanks in advance!