Peavey MF 2 X Mark III Tops and 115 SC Bottoms

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Dookie

Re: Peavey MF 2 X Mark III Tops and 115 SC Bottoms

Post by Dookie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Sign
Last edited by Dookie on Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:28 pm

Dookie wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:27 pm
ka7niq wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:49 am
Just for shits and giggles, I threw my little 6 wpc Tube Amp on these speakers. I have never owned speakers this efficient. Even my old Klipschorns were not this efficient.
The little 6 wpc amp drives the piss out of them. The speakers image better with this tube amp on them, and voices seem to be warmer.
However, the speakers lack some of the detail I had with the other amp.
I am still not using any EQ or Tone Controls.
These speakers are not perfect, but I am very much enjoying them.
I also own a pair of Altec Malibu speakers with the 800 hz Horn, and a pair of 12's in each speaker.
I have never run the Altec's in the corners firing across the room like I have these Peavey's, but I must say, the Peaveys have produced a sound much better than the Altec Malibu's.
Glad they worked out well for you. Sometimes speakers just sound right in a room with no fuss or muss. Throw a picture up someday when you get them settled in and angled for the best sweet spot.

Doug

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:28 pm

Double again, gezzz..

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:33 pm

----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:33 pm

[/quote]

Glad they worked out well for you. Sometimes speakers just sound right in a room with no fuss or muss. Throw a picture up someday when you get them settled in and angled for the best sweet spot.

Doug
[/quote]
[/quote]
I am still playing with them, mostly by moving them around. I moved them out of the corners, firing straight ahead. To my ears, this horn does not want to be listened to, pointed right at you. It seems to sound best to me not pointing right at me. I think I may want to bi amp them, and here is why. Bi Amping will give me control over the Level of the horn + it will ensure that the Horn is getting proper CD Equalization. These speaker are old, and that means so are the crossover capacitors. If the capacitors are all Mylar, no worries, but if not, then the caps have certainly changed values by now.
Having control over the level of the horn will allow reduction of it's level, allowing for a downward sloping frequency response above 800 hz.
My Altec Horns have a level control on them to adjust the level of their horns.
Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777
Https://www.saferoofcleaning.com

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:40 am

Thank You SO Much Wooferhound for this Link !!!!!!!!!
Your link is for the MF 1 w/the 600 hz crossover. Mine is an MF 2 w/800 hz crossover. I see from the link you provided that there is an Electrolytic in there, so I probably have an Electrolytic in mine too.
It will need too be replaced.
No way a 35 year old Electrolytic Capacitor has it's original value.
TYVM !
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:06 am

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!
I had the Top Horn scooted back on the tops of the woofer cabinet so much that only the middle of the horn was flush with the edges of the woofer cabinet. Now I have the top horn cabinet edges all flush with the woofer boxes. This made a HUGE DIFFERENCE ! Not only in overall sound, but especially in Imaging! I was up until 3 am last night listening to them. I am still far from Done playing with them.

I met Paul Klipsch when I was 16 years old, at the Detroit Audio Show at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I remember him being obsessed by efficiency. These old Peavey Speakers I have are the most efficient speakers I have ever owned, by far. I still want to find a crossover schematic for them, so I can pre order all the parts in the crossovers I want to replace.
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:30 pm

ka7niq wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:06 am
UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!
I had the Top Horn scooted back on the tops of the woofer cabinet so much that only the middle of the horn was flush with the edges of the woofer cabinet. Now I have the top horn cabinet edges all flush with the woofer boxes. This made a HUGE DIFFERENCE ! Not only in overall sound, but especially in Imaging! I was up until 3 am last night listening to them. I am still far from Done playing with them.

I met Paul Klipsch when I was 16 years old, at the Detroit Audio Show at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I remember him being obsessed by efficiency. These old Peavey Speakers I have are the most efficient speakers I have ever owned, by far. I still want to find a crossover schematic for them, so I can pre order all the parts in the crossovers I want to replace.
If you want to turn the horn down you can do so with an L-Pad after the passive crossover in the box. As in the diagram Positive goes in Tab 1 and then comes out of Tab 2 to going to the Positive input of the horn. The Neg out from the crossover goes to tab 1 and right out tab 1 to the Neg of the horn. There is many price/wattage ranges available. This one is 100 watts which is kind of over kill for the horn section but a quality unit regardless. You could mount this on the back of the horn box close to the crossover if you wanted to.
I've been using these for more than 30 plus years with never an issue. Something to think about.

https://www.parts-express.com/L-Pad-100 ... JxEALw_wcB

Doug

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:55 pm

Dookie wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:30 pm
ka7niq wrote:
UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Doug! That is an excellent idea!
Here are my latest observations. I am Back into the room corners again, and this time, it is working!
I had the horns pushed way too far back, and their radiation pattern was hitting the Tops of the Bass cabinets!
I have corrected this mistake.
In MY room, this horn is running a little too hot. I have low ceilings and tile floors, so I took my equalizer, and reduced everything above 1000 hz by 3 db. Not perfect, but a big difference!

Is this driver in my bass cabinets a Scorpion, or a Black Widow ?
Whatever it is, it is a good driver.

I see you are up in Maine ?
Have you ever heard of Kittery Maine ?
I had to fly out to Kittery back in 1981 to buy a Doberman Puppy!
The lady who owned the Kennel insisted, so I flew out from Seattle into Portland, and she picked me up at the airport.
I remember going into town, and at the Hardware Store an old guy with eyes nearly bugging out of his head was walking around repeating "It's a Noreaster"!!!
So, I asked Georgette the dog lady "WTF is a Noreaster" She told me "You will soon find out" !
Well, I did find out, and I never want to be in one again, seriously!

People in Maine I found to be honest, almost too honest for their own good. Georgette's Kennel Guy told me "Chris, I know Georgette likes you, but I don't much care for you, so we can tolerate each other, until you go back to Seattle". I told him "I appreciate your honesty", and I really did. I would much rather someone tell me up front they dont care for me, then smile to my face, and stab me in the back!
By the way, the Kennel Guy did tell me that he was wrong about me, when I was leaving. I told him not to worry about it, because I am an acquired taste!

By the way, My Son has Monitor Audio Speakers, very similar to yours! He bought some 2500.00 a pair B&W Speakers, and wound up sending them back. Neither of us felt they were any better than the Monitor Audio Speakers.
He also has a Pair of Huge Outlaw Audio Subwoofers, real room rattlers, and a full dolby atmos system with speakers in the ceiling. He has 3 kids, and they watch a lot of movies.

If you want to turn the horn down you can do so with an L-Pad after the passive crossover in the box. As in the diagram Positive goes in Tab 1 and then comes out of Tab 2 to going to the Positive input of the horn. The Neg out from the crossover goes to tab 1 and right out tab 1 to the Neg of the horn. There is many price/wattage ranges available. This one is 100 watts which is kind of over kill for the horn section but a quality unit regardless. You could mount this on the back of the horn box close to the crossover if you wanted to.
I've been using these for more than 30 plus years with never an issue. Something to think about.

https://www.parts-express.com/L-Pad-100 ... JxEALw_wcB

Doug
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:40 am

ka7niq wrote:
UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Doug! That is an excellent idea!
Here are my latest observations. I am Back into the room corners again, and this time, it is working!
I had the horns pushed way too far back, and their radiation pattern was hitting the Tops of the Bass cabinets!
I have corrected this mistake.
In MY room, this horn is running a little too hot. I have low ceilings and tile floors, so I took my equalizer, and reduced everything above 1000 hz by 3 db. Not perfect, but a big difference!

Is this driver in my bass cabinets a Scorpion, or a Black Widow ?
Whatever it is, it is a good driver.

I see you are up in Maine ?
Have you ever heard of Kittery Maine ?
I had to fly out to Kittery back in 1981 to buy a Doberman Puppy!
The lady who owned the Kennel insisted, so I flew out from Seattle into Portland, and she picked me up at the airport.
I remember going into town, and at the Hardware Store an old guy with eyes nearly bugging out of his head was walking around repeating "It's a Noreaster"!!!
So, I asked Georgette the dog lady "WTF is a Noreaster" She told me "You will soon find out" !
Well, I did find out, and I never want to be in one again, seriously!

People in Maine I found to be honest, almost too honest for their own good. Georgette's Kennel Guy told me "Chris, I know Georgette likes you, but I don't much care for you, so we can tolerate each other, until you go back to Seattle". I told him "I appreciate your honesty", and I really did. I would much rather someone tell me up front they dont care for me, then smile to my face, and stab me in the back!
By the way, the Kennel Guy did tell me that he was wrong about me, when I was leaving. I told him not to worry about it, because I am an acquired taste!

By the way, My Son has Monitor Audio Speakers, very similar to yours! He bought some 2500.00 a pair B&W Speakers, and wound up sending them back. Neither of us felt they were any better than the Monitor Audio Speakers.
He also has a Pair of Huge Outlaw Audio Subwoofers, real room rattlers, and a full dolby atmos system with speakers in the ceiling. He has 3 kids, and they watch a lot of movies.

[/quote]

Scorpion speakers in general have Square"ish" basket frames. If your woofer is round shaped on the outside it is more than likely a Black Widow speaker. If there is a side handle you can take off you sub boxes you may be able to look in and get a picture of it and I can tell from there. Some of the oldest woofers had square magnets like the old horn driver magnets. I believe those were Eminence sourced as well.

Kittery Maine is about 330 or so miles south of where I'm at. I live in the "nowhere" in the "I don't live nowhere but you can see it from there" joke.

Outlaw audio still makes some good products. I wished they had drifted into AV gear more than the 2 - 2.1 systems they sell now.

Doug

https://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVSP1525 ... J0QAvD_BwE

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:18 am

Update
The speakers are still in the room corners, and I have been trying an equalizer on them, with mixed results.
I have an Onkyo TX RX 820 receiver. It was Onkyo's flagship in 2017. It has preamp outputs. I have a NAD Amplifier that seems to sound best on these speakers, so it is hooked up right now.
The Onkyo receiver has AccuEQ built into it, which is basically Onkyo's version of Audyssey Room Correction.
It is not as good as Audyssey but guess what ? I ran it, and it Worked! It found all my surround speakers, set their levels, and then equalized them ! And of course it also found and equalized these 2 speakers, and did a great job!
Onkyo used to use Audyssey, but then they went to their own system called AccuEQ. The reviews are not good on the Onkyo AccuEQ System, but there were several versions of the AccuEQ System. My receiver has a newer version of AccuEQ, and it worked!
Plus, you can turn it on and off by remote control. On the very best recordings, these Speakers are fine, but for most recordings, the level of the horn seems too high and that makes them a little hard to listen to.
The AccuEQ corrects all this.

I still want to get in there, and replace the electrolytic Capacitor that has certainly changed value after 40 years.
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:39 am

I was reading some Peavey information about their replacement diaphragms, and basically it said when using the Titanium Version of their diaphragm, it calls for the use of Ferrofluid!
It goes on to say that not only does the addition of Ferrofluid increase the power handling, but it also smoothes the midrange response!
Has anyone ever played with adding some Ferrofluid to the Horn Driver in the 22A Driver ?

I read a post on the Klipsch Forum all about corner mounted speakers and imaging. I currently have my speakers in the corners, firing across the room. The post spoke of the importance of adding sound absorbing panels on each side of the speaker, to damp the first reflection.
I am currently trying to make a deal with a local guy who is selling some of these panels.
Any Comments ?
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:27 pm

ka7niq wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:39 am
I was reading some Peavey information about their replacement diaphragms, and basically it said when using the Titanium Version of their diaphragm, it calls for the use of Ferrofluid!
It goes on to say that not only does the addition of Ferrofluid increase the power handling, but it also smoothes the midrange response!
Has anyone ever played with adding some Ferrofluid to the Horn Driver in the 22A Driver ?

I read a post on the Klipsch Forum all about corner mounted speakers and imaging. I currently have my speakers in the corners, firing across the room. The post spoke of the importance of adding sound absorbing panels on each side of the speaker, to damp the first reflection.
I am currently trying to make a deal with a local guy who is selling some of these panels.
Any Comments ?
The driver Magnet and Diaphragm are designed to work "together" to get the best sound possible. The 22 and 22A were designed for a certain magnet and the 22/22A also have their own type of frequency response. Yes the Titanium drivers uses ferrofluid but along with getting the change in response there is a different designed magnet and magnet gap to work with the ferrofluid. It's possible you may over dampen the 22/22A diaphragm and degrade the sound quality. The best best step would simply purchase the current newest magnet/driver combo if your after the best sound possible out of your horn. Adding ferrofluid in a 40 or so year old magnet/driver would be taking a chance. My point of view is if adding ferrofluid to a 22/22A would have increase the sound quality I'm thinking Peavey would have sold it at a profit as an upgrade.

Doug

https://peavey.com/rx-22n-neo-hf-driver/p/03617290

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:23 pm

I was just wondering about the Ferrofluid because I saw it in the description for some Peavey Factory Replacement Diaphragms. They actually are sold with Ferrofluid.
I am very much enjoying these speakers. No, they are not perfect, but I find them to be pretty musical.
I listen to all kinds of music, even Polka! I subscribe to this channel https://www.youtube.com/mollieb
It is fairly well recorded, and sound wonderful on these speakers!

I guess the bottom part of these speakers are called "Scoops". WTF is a Scoop ? Is it a Horn Loaded alignment, or ported ? It sure seems to work because these speakers have MUCH more bass than my Altec Malibu's with dual 12 inch woofers.
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:29 am

I am in the process of using an electronic Crossover with these speakers. The Crossover is 12 db per octave Butterworth, and the frequency is adjustable. The passive crossover is at 800 hz, but since I have these speakers in a home environment, I am gonna try to cross at 650 hz. Think I will be ok ?
My Mackie amp I plan to use on the horns had CD Equalization built in, and it is adjustable from 2 to 6K. HELP !
What CD Equalization frequency should I use ?
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777