Dm112 Acting strange , no mids/voice

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Clovis

Dm112 Acting strange , no mids/voice

Post by Clovis » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:44 pm

I picked up a peavey dark matter 112 from a discount auction site that sells Amazon returns in “as-is” condition. When I first tried to test the speaker I got very little to no sound just a quiet crackling type that you normally get from blown speakers. I decided to take it apart and just check for loose connections or bad soldering. I tested the main woofer with a 9 V battery and it jumped and seem to me to pass that test. Do after wiggling a few connections and putting it all back together I didn’t see anything to the naked eye that looked obviously wrong but upon testing It again I know it is greatly improve sound quality I thought the speaker was fixed until the voice of the first verse of the song came in and I could barely hear it (“believe” by dirty heads). I was just using a stereo 1/8ths to 1/4 trs cord so I decided to hook it up to a board and use a trs 1/4” input from the stereo monitor out and (not sure if it’s coincidental or not) it seemed like there may have been a slight improvement (that may have came and went slightly actually). I hooked a second powered speaker up on the “through” output and experienced the same exact sound (speaker sounds normal when going off direct input).

I know a little bit about the very basics of sound and electronics, but I am faaar from most of your levels’. Like I am probably more knowledgeable than a random adult you sampled off the street, or your third cousins husband, but obviously I stake no claim to being as well informed or experienced as the median poster within this forum.

Thanks I’m advance.