LN1263 all channels distorted

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
mwright137

LN1263 all channels distorted

Post by mwright137 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:35 am

Has anyone purchased one of these? No matter what I do all the channels are distorted. There is no separate gain knob to set the preamp gain so I’m assuming my Audix OM-6 is just overloading the preamp. While I’m TALKING.

This is the worst pro audio purchase I have ever made. If anyone has any tips on making this actually work that would be great. Even the mains are terrible when I run a separate external mixer, which is what I was trying to avoid by purchasing a compact line array with more than 2 mic inputs in the first place. Please tell me there is a better manual somewhere or someone that knows how to make these not suck as I didn’t get a chance to try out the speakers during my return window so now I’m out $1500.

jim h

Re: LN1263 all channels distorted

Post by jim h » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:30 pm

Are you using an iPad to control the mixer? If not, go to the onscreen menu and turn off the "App Control".

There are two stages of gain in the LN1263, one analog (controlled by the knob on the back) and one digital (controlled by the app). If the app control is not turned off, the digital gain will be at some unknown setting.

Where are your other controls? Where do you have the Master volume control? Where are the channel level knobs set? Do you see any red lights blinking anywhere?

I've tested many of these systems and haven't heard any distortion at any level. I'm sure we can figure out what's going on with yours.

mwright137

Post by mwright137 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:30 pm

I am using the iPad control. That’s the whole point of paying for this system. I can have the analog knob at zero and my Audix OM-6 distorts. No matter where the digital gain is set.

Is there a manual somewhere that actually tells you how the analog and digital work together? Because that manual online is terrible.

jim h

Post by jim h » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:40 am

The owner's manual is mostly a functional explanation of each feature...not necessarily a how-to manual.

When you speak into the microphone, do you see the red clip LED next to the mic input lighting up? It should be easy to see if it's overloading the pre-amp...the light should be turning red. If it is, try moving the input select switch to the GTR position and see if that fixes it.I know that might sound counter-intuitive, but please give it a try.

mwright137

Post by mwright137 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:26 pm

The speaker works with my small mixer. I can’t trust the digital mixer so I’ll just lug the extra mixer because I can trust it to not suck.

mwright137

Post by mwright137 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:31 pm

And I’m sorry, but that user manual is terrible. A user manual is supposed to tell you how to use the product. Not explain to me things I could figure out by reading the labels. Maybe a diagram of the mixer’s signal flow? Maybe how the gain stages work together? You know - things that are different from one manufacturer to another and might be helpful to a new buyer.

Never again. I’m stuck with this for now, but I’ll never buy Peavey again.

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:20 pm

well right now you speaking with an actual peavey employee and person who probably helped design some of the product in JimH ,
he has helped many on the forum. there might be an issue with your equipment or the issue might be you. you actually have someone knowledgeable speaking directly to you about your issue , and you want to blow him off with i'll never buy peavey again. good luck talking with the next companies help tech overseas who will have to get with the tech department to answer any question you have.

so lighten up alittle give him a chance and you'll find out exactly what the problem is and get it working

mwright137

Post by mwright137 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:15 am

The problem is that I had to come here to learn how to use a product at all. If the company took any time to put together a good manual, I wouldn’t have to.

Turning off app control stopped the channels from distorting, so thanks for that. But that still doesn’t explain HOW the digital mixer works, which would be a great addition to the manual.

Your manual is how people perceive the company. So a manual that doesn’t tell you how the product works makes me believe the company doesn’t care about its customers. I don’t take that very well. It takes almost no time at all to write a good manual, and Peavey made the decision that a good manual wasn’t worth that small effort. So yes, I feel a bit ripped off after spending $1500 and not getting a professional manual. Sorry I feel that way, but I have minimal expectations from a professional audio company.

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:32 pm

awesome got the distorted inputs solved. i do understand manuals can be written better , and the 9 page one i found online describes the features about as well as most peavey products have in the past . i guess they had a minimal expectation that someone buying professional audio equipment from a professional audio manufacturer would have a basic working knowledge of audio equipment. yes it could be way more in depth, i am sure if you could list what else is needed for you to feel comfortable operating the line array jim or someone will help you, and in doing so peavey could also look into what they could provide more in their manuals to assist others in the future.

clinaz722

Post by clinaz722 » Fri May 26, 2023 2:11 am

Hi everyone. Im new to this board, and Im having the same issues with a new LN1263. I thought I'd bump up this thread because there really isnt a solution pertaining to the App.

With the App function on, I get a distorted sound that is reduced in volume. Im hoping Jim H or someone knowledgeable with these units would be still available to help out. It would be much appreciated.

I have noticed the dual control (analog & digital) to be a bit weird, so perhaps I am doing something wrong? Also, I found it odd to not have a controlable sensitivity/gain knob.

I have tried many settings, but it just feels like I really have to push the levels to get decent volume and its distorted. But when I turn off App Control it clears up and becomes much louder, but then I dont have individual channel eq, etc.

I assume that the analog line 'volume' knob acts somewhat like a gain knob, as it affects the peak light -- which I can get to peak. I have to set it to no more than around 2-o-clock, or itll peak. Then the digital channel level has to be set way above unity to get reasonable volume.

I have a pair of Yamaha DBR 12s, and a single DBR currently dominates the LN1263 while only using a 3rd of the volume.

Thanks in advance for any input!