Can I use KB60 speaker in Bandit 65?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Michael A.

Can I use KB60 speaker in Bandit 65?

Post by Michael A. » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:30 pm

I recently got a 1983 Bandit 65 very cheaply. I went through it, cleaning the pots and wiring connections, and now all functions work as they should, but the Scorpion 12 is blown. I've cleaned the magnet VC gap and rotated the magnet, to no success.

I have quite a few amps and this one isn't a keeper. Since I'm going to flip it, I want to put as little $ into it as I can. I know of a cheap Peavey KB 60 amp from 80-90s that doesn't work properly, but the speaker is said to be good. It has a tweeter built in. I could buy that cheaply and keep the Bandit all Peavey for the sale.

Does anyone know who made that KB60 peaker, and has anyone else used this type of speaker in a guitar amp? Any comments welcome, but I don't plan to install a new Peavey basket since that cost wouldn't be recovered when I sell.

Anyone have a single grey knob for the Bandit you want to sell? That is the only missing piece.

Thanks.

Turbo-T

Re: Can I use KB60 speaker in Bandit 65?

Post by Turbo-T » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:57 am

I've seen those knobs as low as $5
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Amplifi ... SwoJhdu2NX

Not sure of max wattage on your bandit, but the 12" Valve King speaker can be had in great shape for as little as $20 if you keep an eye out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavy-Valvekin ... SwM8xfNYeT

Michael A.

Re: Can I use KB60 speaker in Bandit 65?

Post by Michael A. » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:58 pm

Thanks, I'll keep watching until I find the knobs at a reasonable price. I can probably find a busted amp of that vintage locally for $10 or so and harvest the parts I can use.

I did get the original Scorpion speaker working again. The main issue was that it had several places around the cone where the glue had dried out or disappeared and the speaker was vibrating and farting. I did a write-up on another board as to the technique to re-glue it. Pretty easy repair, with the removable magnet. Now it sounds great, everything on the Bandit is working as original.