Replacement Diaphram for 22A Driver?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
mikehende

Replacement Diaphram for 22A Driver?

Post by mikehende » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Hey guys, i am not finding a replacement diaphram specifically for the 22A Horn driver, this is the closes thing I am finding, any ideas please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Di ... SwBCtfaCQm

Dookie

Re: Replacement Diaphram for 22A Driver?

Post by Dookie » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:06 am

mikehende wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:40 pm
Hey guys, i am not finding a replacement diaphram specifically for the 22A Horn driver, this is the closes thing I am finding, any ideas please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Di ... SwBCtfaCQm
Just a word of advice. These are not Peavey manufactured replacement horn kits. You more than likely will get terrible sound out of them. Spend the money and get one made by Peavey.

Doug

EDIT: I find a lot of places recommend the RX22. Maybe Peavey will chime in. A Peavey replacement will have a Peavey logo on the back like this.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/peavey-r ... 52400.html

https://www.amazon.com/Peavey-03452400- ... B0094MIBLK

Part number seems to be. 03452400

mikehende

Post by mikehende » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 am

Yeah thanks, i have to wonder if even the working one I have has an original diaphram.

mikehende

Post by mikehende » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:37 pm

I have removed the 6 screws on the driver but don;t know how to raise the rubber material off the metal part, canl;t get Peavey Tech Support for a couple of days now.

i tried using a flat blade screwdriver tip to pry it upwards but doesn;t work.
driver.jpg
driver.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 5402 times

noelmem1

Post by noelmem1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:46 pm

look for 22XT genuine replacement , RX22 has different phase plug , i dont know about the 22XTn? or RX22n . Pry some more as the gasket is just stuck tight from overtightening . Genuine replacement comes with a new gasket . If you can buy a sachet of Ferrofluid then put it into the gap after cleaning the gap with rolled masking tape sticky side out . Assemble using gravity as a tool . The coil and gasket below the magnet . You cant miss as there are 2 plastic dowel pin on the coil assy , there are 2 holes in the magnet plate . I was able to find used 22XT from ebay but no gasket .
if you are unsure you put the coil right or suspect coil rubbing , get a 9v alkaline and connect to the coil terminal with a scratching action - youre listening for a krook krook sound and not a krish krishh sound if like this then loosen the screws and try to move the coil assy some mils away from the rubbed metal plate , alright !

noelmem1

noelmem1

Post by noelmem1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:39 pm

The replacement kit RX22N from peavey read .. it is compatible with 22A

RX™ 22N Diaphragm Kit
show image: null

RX™ 22N Diaphragm Kit

Installation InstructionsCut Sheet
Item No: 03617300
$59.99

mikehende

Post by mikehende » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 am

noelmem1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:46 pm
look for 22XT genuine replacement , RX22 has different phase plug , i dont know about the 22XTn? or RX22n . Pry some more as the gasket is just stuck tight from overtightening . Genuine replacement comes with a new gasket . If you can buy a sachet of Ferrofluid then put it into the gap after cleaning the gap with rolled masking tape sticky side out . Assemble using gravity as a tool . The coil and gasket below the magnet . You cant miss as there are 2 plastic dowel pin on the coil assy , there are 2 holes in the magnet plate . I was able to find used 22XT from ebay but no gasket .
if you are unsure you put the coil right or suspect coil rubbing , get a 9v alkaline and connect to the coil terminal with a scratching action - youre listening for a krook krook sound and not a krish krishh sound if like this then loosen the screws and try to move the coil assy some mils away from the rubbed metal plate , alright !

noelmem1
Thanks for the help and sorry for the late response. Actually the situation is that one of the pair of drivers I had bought the threading is damaged so it doesn't screw all the way into the horn so I am thinking of buying a non working driver to switch the diaphram. Peavey Tech said i would be better off getting a working driver with no issues as the gasket would need a razor to try to unglue it and I figure since I will most likely have the exact same situation to deal with in a non working driver, maybe his advice is best but I will give it another shot with something sharp this time, will report back.

mikehende

Post by mikehende » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:02 am

I got it! Actually, the trick was to lift the part which actually comes off with the diaphram shown by the longer arrow. I used a razor and it lifted that part. I can now buy a non working 22A now that I know how to get the diaphram off.
driver.jpg
driver.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 5333 times

mikehende

Post by mikehende » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:05 am

IMG_2507.jpg
IMG_2507.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 5332 times

VSW

Post by VSW » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:21 pm

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing what you learned. :-)
Vaughan

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:23 am

mikehende wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:02 am
I got it! Actually, the trick was to lift the part which actually comes off with the diaphram shown by the longer arrow. I used a razor and it lifted that part. I can now buy a non working 22A now that I know how to get the diaphram off.

driver.jpg
The new horn driver comes with everything including a new rubber gasket. It all comes off the magnet. Of course your going to buy a working driver not a non working one. ;-) Be sure to clean the voice coil gap with masking tape! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqt53N1a5c

Doug

mikehende

Post by mikehende » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Thx, will do, i can get a 22XT driver, would the 22A diaphram work on it?

mikehende

Post by mikehende » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:55 pm

I got the replacement driver today and switched the diaphram after cleaning out around the middle piece with the credit card and tape, was very dirty.

The replacement driver wasn't exactly the same as the gasket and screws lineup was a little different but it works so this issue is settled, I appreciate the help, thanks guys!