Peavey SP-1 Series lll

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
rmlowz

Peavey SP-1 Series lll

Post by rmlowz » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:25 pm

I just purchased these speakers and plan on restoring them. I can not seem to find an owners manual in the archives on Peaveys site. Does anyone know where to find a owners manual. I had a question on the input on one side it states full range and there are two inputs. Why is there two inputs? The other side states highs and lows for bi amp I understand that, The side for full range can I just connect one input on the full range side?
Thanks
rmlowz

Dookie

Re: Peavey SP-1 Series lll

Post by Dookie » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:12 pm

The 2 inputs are Full range IN and Out. The same signal that goes in comes out so you can feed another speaker. If you had 2 , SP1's a side then you would go into one of them, out and into another one. This would give a 4 ohm nominal load on a power amp.

Doug

rmlowz

Post by rmlowz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks I understand now I appreciate it. Does anyone know where I could buy new crossovers for the SP-1s They play maybe sound a little muffled I guess these speakers need EQ to sound good? Is this correct. Maybe get a basic equalizer

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 pm

rmlowz wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:53 pm
the SP-1s They play maybe sound a little muffled
I would check the Horn Diaphragm first. They usually go out before the crossover does.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:49 pm

And certainly crossovers are easily repaired.

rmlowz

Post by rmlowz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Hello
Thanks for the replies and help, I have started to take these apart to repair and refinish the cabinets. When I start to put things back together I will start to trouble shoot. It sounded like when playing music, part of the voice sound was inside the cabinet instead of coming out the horn? I might just put new diaphragms in for the new restoration project are they still available? it appears parts are not on Peaveys site unless I overlooked them
Thanks again
rmlowz

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm

rmlowz wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:53 pm
Thanks I understand now I appreciate it. Does anyone know where I could buy new crossovers for the SP-1s They play maybe sound a little muffled I guess these speakers need EQ to sound good? Is this correct. Maybe get a basic equalizer
First you need to find out for sure if the horns are bad. At a LOW level put some music though the speakers. Put your ear right up to the horn section and cheek both speakers Horn Section to see if there is anything coming out and they both sound the same. If your unsure try this. Play music again at a low level and put a 1/4 inch cable ""That is not hooked up to Anything"" in the Biamp Low jack. This Jack is a Switching Jack. When used it bypasses the Passive crossover in the cabinet and goes straight to the woofer. This Shuts off the sound reaching the woofer. You can now hear just the horn section. This will help you tell if they are working correctly or working at all. You can then do the reverse and put the cable in the Bi amp High jack and shut the horn off and you will hear just the woofer playing. Make sure the woofers are working and that they sound the same. In regards to the BI Amp High and Bi Amp low jacks. These sometimes stick when not used for extended length of time so no signal goes through the passive crossover to reach the drivers. Sometimes its worth just running a 1/4 inch jack in/out several times quickly in the biamp high/biamp low jacks if you find you have a horn or woofer not working. I spray the 1/4 inch end with DeOxit and plug in / unplug to get the crud out. Other "Turner Spray" type products that may work as well.
Also note to service the woofer turn the cabinet upside down or on its side. There is a trap door on the bottom that you need to remove. There is a bunch of screws that hold it in place. Also note this trap door has a double sided sticky foam seal on it. (sort of like what is used to go around a door but sticky on both sides ) For the woofer to work correctly it needs to be in a sealed air tight box. This foam makes the seal. If it is missing / damaged it should be replaced. The woofer will work and sound better with it there.

Doug

rmlowz

Post by rmlowz » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks a lot for the help When I get them back together I will do this testing. I will let you know my results
rmlowz

rmlowz

Post by rmlowz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:46 pm

On my SP-1 after getting them apart for new refinish the woofers are not the same one is a 1501-4 and the other is a 1504-4. It appears the 1501-4 looks newer and the 1504-4 looks older with the accordion ripples look on the woofer. Is this going to be ok? looking for another 1501-4 is slim chance. They both past the poor mans speaker tester battery test LOL
Thanks
rmlowz

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:41 am

rmlowz wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:46 pm
On my SP-1 after getting them apart for new refinish the woofers are not the same one is a 1501-4 and the other is a 1504-4. It appears the 1501-4 looks newer and the 1504-4 looks older with the accordion ripples look on the woofer. Is this going to be ok? looking for another 1501-4 is slim chance. They both past the poor mans speaker tester battery test LOL
Thanks
rmlowz
The original woofers were an eminence sourced woofer with square magnets. They I believe changed from there. Its important though that the woofer is a ( 4 ) ohm driver. Because of the acoustic impedance of the horn loaded box with the 4 ohm speaker in it gives the amp an actual 8 ohm nominal impedance in the band pass of the box. I seem to remember 59hz as the usable low frequency limit. Both of those woofers you have are rated for a higher wattage than the stock ones were. The 1501-4 was 250 watts rms if I remember right. The -4 used to be for the 4 ohm rating. You could test them with a mulitmeter. Set it to Kohms and it should read "" Around 3 ohms "" for DCR ( direct current resistance ) I'm unsure if those speakers you have were designed for a horn loaded box but they are in them and seem to work so its a starting point. I'm going to hunt around. At one point I had a spare 15 basket kicking around that was from around that time. I'll see if its still here or if I gave it away. Are you in the United States?

rmlowz

Post by rmlowz » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:50 pm

Hello Dookie
Thanks for all your help,
Yes I live in Clarksville TN

MisterK

Post by MisterK » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:01 pm

I also have a pair of SP-1 III’s. The aluminum strip right on the front states that they’re “BW equipped”. I pulled the bottom covers to confirm and see that both have 15” Black Widow woofers, model 1504 - 4 ohm. I’m thinking of modifying mine to use a 3-way crossover then adding a proper tweeter on top of the cabinets.
These are going to be used in my living room, driven by an old Krell KSA-100 amp.

Has anyone here used SP-1’s in their home for 2 channel stereo? They look like a “poor man’s Klipsch La Scalla” to me.. That’s what I’ll try to turn them into, anyway.

ka7niq

Post by ka7niq » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:14 am

MisterK wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:01 pm
I also have a pair of SP-1 III’s. The aluminum strip right on the front states that they’re “BW equipped”. I pulled the bottom covers to confirm and see that both have 15” Black Widow woofers, model 1504 - 4 ohm. I’m thinking of modifying mine to use a 3-way crossover then adding a proper tweeter on top of the cabinets.
These are going to be used in my living room, driven by an old Krell KSA-100 amp.

Has anyone here used SP-1’s in their home for 2 channel stereo? They look like a “poor man’s Klipsch La Scalla” to me.. That’s what I’ll try to turn them into, anyway.
I plan to do the same thing with either a SP 1 or SP 2 in my living room
Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida
711 Westbrook Ave
Brandon Florida 33511
813-655-8777
Https://www.saferoofcleaning.com