20+ yr old Impulse 200P needs potentiometer

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
DMahalko

20+ yr old Impulse 200P needs potentiometer

Post by DMahalko » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:59 am

Does anyone know a compatible part source replacement for the volume control / potentiometer / variable resistor for The Peavey Impulse 200P powered speakers?

I think they’re from from the late 1990s so at least 20 years old.

As with all analog equipment, the variable resistor is corroding and going bad. When the knob is turned, it makes incredibly loud popping noises.

For a while I’ve been scrubbing it (rotating it from minimum to maximum about 200 times with the power off) to scrape the corrosion off but it’s getting to the point where that doesn’t work either and it just makes a popping noises all the time.

This is dangerous for the hearing of anyone near it because the popping is at maximum volume output. And of course it is now useless for its intended purpose.

I tried writing to Peavey repair service twice about this but got no reply. I assume it’s so old that they don’t want to deal with it anymore.

I know how to hold the proper end of a soldering iron, so if someone knows a compatible DigiKey / Newark part substitution I’ll replace it myself.

Enzo

Re: 20+ yr old Impulse 200P needs potentiometer

Post by Enzo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:37 pm

First off, when you wash your hands, you use soap, you don't just rub them together a lot. They make cleaning products for pots. DeOxit being the major player. Spray some Deoxit into the pot and spin it back and forth just a time or two, and USUALLY that cleans them up. If the pot is actually damaged, we can replace.

71190528 is the Peavey part number. It is a 10kA

Peavey has specific addresses. To get schematics write [email protected]. To ASK about parts, [email protected]. To ORDER parts, you must CALL them.

As to repair department, they are guys fixing things, and I don't know if they are even working right now due to the virus.