Peavey PR12 Help

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Stulanger

Peavey PR12 Help

Post by Stulanger » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi everyone, new guy here. I use a lot of Peavey gear so I figured this might be a good place to get some advice on a problem I've been having with a PR12 speaker I bought off of EBay. Long story short, I bought a PR 12 off of EBay a couple of months ago but, due to extenuating circumstances, I didn't get to try it out until today. I hooked up my pair of PR12s and noticed that the one I bought off of EBay sounded dark and dull with no high end. After listening closer and putting my ear up to the horn I noticed that there was no sound coming out of the it. I suspect I was sold a speaker with a bad compression driver. I've contacted the seller but I don't expect that someone who sold me a bum speaker would be willing to help me out. I've been looking at compression drivers for the PR12 and they seem a bit pricey in the $70 range. I am reluctant to buy a new compression driver until I am more certain that that is what's wrong with the speaker. I just bought a new guitar and retubed my amps so money is a little tight at the moment. I was wondering if there was any way to trouble shoot the speaker to find out what the problem is before I go wasting a bunch of money trying to fix a bum speaker with no real idea of what to look for. I could take in to a tech but I would prefer to fix it myself if possible in order to save money. I was about to take my Blues Jr. in to be repaired this morning but I was able to fix it myself with a little help from the internet so I'm feeling confident that I can get this speaker issue resolved before my band gets back together for its first post quarantine jam. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josjor

Re: Peavey PR12 Help

Post by Josjor » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:50 am

Pretty simple: remove the horn driver and do a continuity test with an ohm meter. It'll most likely show as an open circuit, meaning it is blown.

Option two: Remove the leads to the 12" speaker and set them aside, taking special care to make sure they aren't touching each other. Take the leads going to the horn and put them on the 12" speaker and try the speaker. It'll sound like crap since it's just high frequencies going there, but if it sounds at all, it means there's signal coming from the crossover and it's most likely the horn driver. If there isn't sound then that means your problem might be the crossover or protection circuit, which is basically an automotive light bulb.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:20 am

Your compression driver looks to be an RX-14. A whole compression driver does list for about $70, but if yours is blown all you need is a new diaphragm, not a whole driver. Think of your car, if you get a flat tire, you just need a new tire, not a whole new wheel. More like $20.

Stulanger

Post by Stulanger » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:45 pm

Thanks Enzo! Just placed an order for a new diaphram. I appreciate the assistance!

Stulanger

Post by Stulanger » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Thanks for the advise Josjor! I didn't get a notification for your reply until after I ordered the new diaphram. If the new diaphram doesn't do the trick I will check the crossover.