Scorpion Plus 15" stock speaker in Reno 400???

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
tigamendonza

Scorpion Plus 15" stock speaker in Reno 400???

Post by tigamendonza » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:06 pm

Hello Friends...

I am looking at a Peavey Reno 400 amp. It has the dual piezo and 15" speaker. The owner's manual gives a power spec into 4 ohms. It appears that the only 15" Scorpion that came stock as a 4 ohm was the Scorpion Plus 15". I cannot find any other model number identification. Can anyone confirm that?

The amp itself is in poor condition but the valuable piece here is the speaker. So if it is what I think it is, it might be worth getting the speaker and using it on another project (a Jazz cabinet for larger venues).

Thank you,

Enzo

Re: Scorpion Plus 15" stock speaker in Reno 400???

Post by Enzo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 pm

Is the magnet frame bright brushed cast aluminum? and squared off sorta like a stop sign? That would be a Scorpion. Look on the magnet, does it say Scorpion? The magnet is held on with three big bolts. Look on the speaker frame, is there a sticker saying something like SP15425? That would be a Scorpion model.

The Reno 400 did come with a stamped basket speaker also. PArt number on it would be 70777062, and 15454K. A stamped basket is the very common type speaker wher the frame is stamped out of sheet metal.

The speaker listing hada a note to replace the stamped speaker with the Scorpion if needed.

Pappy B

Re: Scorpion Plus 15" stock speaker in Reno 400???

Post by Pappy B » Wed May 13, 2020 9:02 pm

It's even possible someone put a Black Widow in it.

I do think your logic for buying it for the speaker is good if it proves to be one you want and the price is right. Any more people want more for a used speaker than the whole amp would cost you.
The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.