Mixing PVXP 12s & 15s

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
kilrcuda

Mixing PVXP 12s & 15s

Post by kilrcuda » Tue May 28, 2019 9:52 pm

Hey Everyone!
I'm looking to grow my PA a little. I currently have 2 PVXP 15s and two PVXP subs. I want to get another set of mains. I've been looking at getting a pair of PVXP 12s. Looking at the specs, they are close to the same but the 12s are a little smaller. Will the speaker cabinets being 'tuned' differently cause problems? Are there any issues such as phasing that I should be aware of if I were to use the PVXP 12s & 15s side by side?

Thanks!

Sean

colliedogboy1

Re: Mixing PVXP 12s & 15s

Post by colliedogboy1 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:33 am

If you want more speakers for broader coverage, it would be better to buy two more of the 15" models like the ones you now have. Even though the 12's and the 15's are spec'ed alike regarding power handling, frequency response, etc., the 15's will actually put out more bass than the 12's. Using dissimilar speakers side by side, they would need to be equalized differently because the 12's just can't handle the same low end as the 15's. For the small difference in price, I would go for the PVXP15's.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Thu May 30, 2019 6:45 am

First question: Why do you want more speakers?

If it's for a delay set or to get really wide coverage, go for it but.....12's will be fine for delays (not likely to interact with the 15's since they're far away), 15's for wider coverage (and the most versatile because you could use them for wider or delay).

If you're wanting another set because you simply want to be louder, you'd be better off selling your 15's and getting higher powered speakers. The PVxP's have a pretty wide covering horn and unless you array them correctly, you'll just end up with a lot of phase issues. You could stack them horn to horn, but
A: you won't
B: with the downward firing horn, the top one would be throwing most it's energy up to the ceiling.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

kilrcuda

Post by kilrcuda » Thu May 30, 2019 9:45 am

Thank you for your feedback gents!

The reason for more speakers is for doing outside shows for our rock/cover band. The goal is to push sound farther in an open/outside area. We played outside last weekend and had to push them quite hard. Nothing over the top extreme, but had the volume set at about 3 o'clock and the mixer master volume was at unity. Not too much headroom left. We have a bigger outside show coming up and will need to run the rig louder.

I was planning on having 2 speakers (one of the PVXp 15 I already own and a new PVXp 12) & one sub on either side of the stage. However, I didn't even think of setting any speakers away from the stage to get more coverage.

We don't have any shows this size coming up so I don't want to invest in a huge outdoor rig. We usually play in small to medium clubs and the 2 PVXp 15s & 2 PVXp subs I got do just fine. Considering the size of the outdoor location, I think having another set of 15s set away from the stage will do.

Cheers!
Sean

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:07 pm

in the older days we used to rent an extra amp and couple speakers when we played outside to help our bar system .
(once heard 2 miles away tyvm :mrgreen: )

but, not sure if you can still do this .... just thought i'd throw it out there.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Fri May 31, 2019 6:04 am

kilrcuda wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:45 am
Thank you for your feedback gents!

The reason for more speakers is for doing outside shows for our rock/cover band. The goal is to push sound farther in an open/outside area. We played outside last weekend and had to push them quite hard. Nothing over the top extreme, but had the volume set at about 3 o'clock and the mixer master volume was at unity. Not too much headroom left. We have a bigger outside show coming up and will need to run the rig louder.

I was planning on having 2 speakers (one of the PVXp 15 I already own and a new PVXp 12) & one sub on either side of the stage. However, I didn't even think of setting any speakers away from the stage to get more coverage.

We don't have any shows this size coming up so I don't want to invest in a huge outdoor rig. We usually play in small to medium clubs and the 2 PVXp 15s & 2 PVXp subs I got do just fine. Considering the size of the outdoor location, I think having another set of 15s set away from the stage will do.

Cheers!
Sean
Check your local music store about rentals for your one time gig. My store rents speakers that will kick the PVxP's butt (no offense intended, they're a great cab for the price) for $50 per cabinet for a one night deal.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

kilrcuda

Post by kilrcuda » Fri May 31, 2019 11:13 pm

Again, appreciate the advice! I think renting a rig will be the way to go. I know a couple local music stores rent equipment. I'll check them out and see what they can do.

Cheers!

Sean