Peavey sp2g

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Dave's not here

Peavey sp2g

Post by Dave's not here » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:02 am

I have a small variety band (2-4 people( that usually performs on weekends for small groups, range 20-75 people. But sometimes I need a larger PA for bigger or outdoor gigs. For those I have Peavey SP5G or even the Peavey SP2G speakers. A couple of times, I used both the SP2G and SP5G speakers in parallel, which gave a great bass & overall sound.
I have a very powerful QSC (7) power amp which worked fine in that case. My question is: will this system work better if I use the SP2G speakers as subs only ( with SPG5s) , & can I do this without a separate crossover....dont want to use one.. I know that the 5s are bi-ampable but I'm unsure if I can run a parallel line into that port and how to do so (maybe coming OUT of the 5s?). I've been performing for 50 yrs & know that the full range is ok.....thanks....

noelmem1

Re: Peavey sp2g

Post by noelmem1 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:42 am

you will lose mids as the compression driver of the SP5G is 14XT , the SP2G has the 22XT .
I suggest you run mono and feed the 2 SP5G from one amp channel , and the 2 SP2s from the other , Pad the amp for the SP5Gs .

noelmem1

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:18 pm

noelmem1 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:42 am
you will lose mids as the compression driver of the SP5G is 14XT , the SP2G has the 22XT .
I suggest you run mono and feed the 2 SP5G from one amp channel , and the 2 SP2s from the other , Pad the amp for the SP5Gs .

noelmem1
Unless something has changed in the last 20-25 years the SP5 has a 22 type horn driver in it.

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/ma ... 300314.pdf

Doug

noelmem1

Post by noelmem1 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:22 pm

oh yes , but still the horn in the sp5G ( CH3) is smaller , so still he will lose mids and throw :)
in the SP2G CH945.. something like that :)
i seldom visit , im outdated

noelmem1

netrecce

Post by netrecce » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:27 am

Running SP5G's and SP2G's together at a larger event, I would still run them all Full Range. And I would EQ each type separately for best combined effect. The larger horn on the SP2G's will be your best friend, so I wouldn't do away with its capability. You might try using the SP5G's to optimize the low-mid/low high frequencies... and maybe EQ a small reduction in that range on the SP2G's if it helps.

SP2G's are my favorite all around FOH main. I have 4 of them and use them in two's or four's whenever possible as appropriate. I've stacked them in pairs and tried using the lower SP2G as a 15" Sub, but it always sounds better when I run everything Full Range. I find this to be true for Live Bands or Recorded Music.

I also have great respect for SP5G's. I still have four SP5Ti's and use them as FOH mains for Live Bands at smallish/mid size places where they mostly cover Vocals that need to cut through the too-loud, un-mic'd, on-stage instrument amps that are controlled by the musicians. They work really great for that. They've never failed me.