dead horn in 1245-M wedge?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
RichRice

dead horn in 1245-M wedge?

Post by RichRice » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:44 pm

I bought a used 1245-M floor monitor, just received it- the horn is kaput. Took the horn out, and tested the driver with a battery- nothing. It came with a 22XT on it, and I have contacted the seller (online purchase). In the meantime, I have a spare horn with a working 22T on hand. Don't know the difference between these two, as far as power handling, sound, etc. Is one "better" than the other? Is it worth replacing the diaphragm on the 22XT? I already had a 1245 monitor, which is why I wanted a second one.. not sure what is in the one I already had, it has never needed to be serviced..

I'm planning on using both of these as monitors, full range. No way I can test a crossover until I have a working horn, obviously. My mains are Bag End, Mackie powered mixer. always flawless..

Any guidance or opinions are welcomed, it has been years since I dabbled in this stuff.. Thanks in advance. ;)

RichRice

Re: dead horn in 1245-M wedge?

Post by RichRice » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:33 pm

I tried the spare 22T in the cab, seems to work fine, at least in basement levels. Not sure what to do about the dead 22XT- maybe just try to replace the diaphragm.. Haven't done that in years, never on a Peavey. My only experience was one EV ST350B tweeter. That is still in good order. Doesn't sound like it would be too difficult.. hahaha Famous last words...

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:17 am

RichRice wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:33 pm
I tried the spare 22T in the cab, seems to work fine, at least in basement levels. Not sure what to do about the dead 22XT- maybe just try to replace the diaphragm.. Haven't done that in years, never on a Peavey. My only experience was one EV ST350B tweeter. That is still in good order. Doesn't sound like it would be too difficult.. hahaha Famous last words...
It is relatively easy to replace components, if they are replaceable, in Peaveys. I have done a couple Black Widows over the years.

You can check here:

https://peavey.com/c/Speaker-Component-Information
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

RichRice

Post by RichRice » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:29 am

JamesPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:17 am
RichRice wrote:
It is relatively easy to replace components, if they are replaceable, in Peaveys. I have done a couple Black Widows over the years.

You can check here:

Thank you for your reply. I see aftermarket parts are available, guess I'll give one a try. With a little luck, it may do the trick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331252519161?ep ... ec7WZ#rwid

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:17 am

RichRice wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:29 am
JamesPaul wrote:
RichRice wrote:

You can check here:

Thank you for your reply. I see aftermarket parts are available, guess I'll give one a try. With a little luck, it may do the trick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331252519161?ep ... ec7WZ#rwid
I used genuine Peavey parts on the BW baskets I changed out. If I am reading the chart correctly, 00577340 22XT+ DIA. KIT is what they are using now. You may try calling Parts to see if they have any in stock. (800) 752-7896, Mon - Fri, 8 am - 5 pm Central Time. In the past they have been less busy in the afternoon.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

RichRice

Post by RichRice » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:09 pm

JamesPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:17 am
RichRice wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:29 am
JamesPaul wrote:

You can check here:

I used genuine Peavey parts on the BW baskets I changed out. If I am reading the chart correctly, 00577340 22XT+ DIA. KIT is what they are using now. You may try calling Parts to see if they have any in stock. (800) 752-7896, Mon - Fri, 8 am - 5 pm Central Time. In the past they have been less busy in the afternoon.
Thanks for the info. I wrote their parts department, will see what they have to offer. I may have a lead on some drivers from a friend, will know in a couple of days. He's unsure of what he has, old Peavey monitors from his church that he has stored for 10 years... hopefully the same horns, but we'll see. Nice fellow, generous offer. In the meantime, I was able to install a 22T that I had on hand, so at least the PA is operational. Pays to be a parts hoarder, once every 20 years or so..

RichRice

Post by RichRice » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:05 am

Imagehere's the culprit..

dak

Post by dak » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:17 pm

It's dead, Jim. Are you aiming for a reconing or a complete replacement? I don't really know what to do with the magnets in such a case...

RichRice

Post by RichRice » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:02 pm

dak wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:17 pm
It's dead, Jim. Are you aiming for a reconing or a complete replacement? I don't really know what to do with the magnets in such a case...
The magnet structure is fine, the voice coil has a break. Replacing these should be quite simple- given the correct part. Six screws, and the two halves come apart. They are keyed together with guide pins, so as long as the air gap in the magnet structure is immaculate, and the new diaphragm/coil is manufactured to tolerance, the old coil can be placed into the air gap, and screw the two halves together.. I've replaced a diaphragm in a different horn tweeter, years ago, where the placement was extremely critical- it didn't sound quite as good as the original at first, but it worked. Eventually, I stopped by the Bag End factory- and their engineer showed me a better way- I re-fitted the diaphragm and it's exactly the same as original, ever since.