Speaker enclosures

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
bigdrewlittle

Speaker enclosures

Post by bigdrewlittle » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:16 am

Hello. I was recently gifted two Peavey PA column enclosures model PA 410. The serial number on one is 8E-173852. Along with them came a Crate PA-6 powered mixer. I am hoping to play small coffeehouse/bar gigs playing blues with backing tracks and maybe acoustic folky/rocky type material in the near future, and I know nothing about electronics. Any advice on how these components will function would be most appreciated.

Enzo

Re: Speaker enclosures

Post by Enzo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 pm

Do they work? When they were given to you did they tell you they work or they didn't know?

Do you know ANYTHING about setting them up?

These are real basic old school PA items. I consider it light duty. The powered mixer is basic. There are two speaker jacks on the rear. You connect the speakers to the mixer by SPEAKER CORDS, never use guitar cords for speakers. Then you can connect your microphones to the mixer like anywhere.

Often an older system may have noisy controls. That is when you turn the volumes up and down, you hear gravelly noises. This is usually fixed with a spray of control cleaner.

If all this is new to you, really, find someone local to help you. Maybe a friendly soul will come over and check it out and show you the basics. Worst case, just PAY someone to come over and show you the ropes. Ask at a local music store if they know someone who would.

bigdrewlittle

Post by bigdrewlittle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:28 pm

Thanks man. They are visually in quite good condition, but I have yet to test them out. I will do so soon now that I am out of work. Also I was given a Peavey KB 300 that I was thinking could be used as a monitor.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:42 pm

I'm guessing that, since the KB-300 was given to you, it's probably an older model. It likely would make you a satisfactory monitor--certainly better than nothing at all. The Crate PA-6 appears to have a "Monitor Out" jack on the front. You can connect a 1/4" guitar cable to that jack and plug the other end into the channel 1 input jack of the KB-300, keeping the "Level" knob very low (at first). Use the PA-6 channel monitor knobs to get the mix you need in your monitor speaker and set the overall volume of that mix by adjusting the master monitor knob on your PA-6 mixer. You might also have to raise or lower the channel 1 "Level" knob of the KB-300. It's all a balancing act.