Peavey DYNA 5 String wiring needs to be redone. Need help finding wiring kit.

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
KrueltyNTheBeast

Peavey DYNA 5 String wiring needs to be redone. Need help finding wiring kit.

Post by KrueltyNTheBeast » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:11 pm

So my old man has a dyna bass 5 string in pretty tidy condition however I'm pretty sure the preamp is ******. A guy he knew who is now deceased removed the active function for some reason. He just witnessed me do a massive overhaul of a 93 les paul and now wants me to do fix his bass.
Thing is I know nothing about bass guitars. I'm handy on a soldering iron but would much prefer just to buy a prewired harness/circuit board that I can connect and chuck in there for him.

Does anyone know where I can find something for him?

Also worth noting, the super ferrite pickups still seem to work. I tested them with a multimeter and got a reading of 5.5k ohms on each. This seems on the low side but from what i can tell is still operational.

Any tips on mods for these would be appreciated as well.

kodiakblair

Re: Peavey DYNA 5 String wiring needs to be redone. Need help finding wiring kit.

Post by kodiakblair » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:34 am

The Dynabass came in 2 versions, 4 & 5 pot.

You mentioning an 'active' switch means it's the earlier 5 pot version. The active switch flits between 3 band EQ or just the passive tone pot, it's a simple signal switch.

Low-ish DCR of the Super Ferrites is down to materials. Given the name, Ferrites, it's no surprise they have ceramic magnets which being stronger than the more common ALNICO 5 require less wire to achieve similar output levels.

You could re-cap the original preamp but there's plenty prewired EQ units available to suit all budgets, $20 units from eBay to $250 units from various pickup companies.

A good balance of features/affordability/ease of fitting are the SBK/SEB Tone Monsters from Guitar Fuel.

http://www.guitarfuel.com/sbk-series-preamps.html
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

studiodtk5

Re: Peavey DYNA 5 String wiring needs to be redone. Need help finding wiring kit.

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:46 am

I have had good luck with preamps from:

http://audereaudio.com/classic-vv-3b-5h-none.html

Good luck.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...