HELP Requested: Which Model & Version

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
rocksteady777

HELP Requested: Which Model & Version

Post by rocksteady777 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:57 pm

I'm trying to locate information about a Peavey NTB 5 string bass that I've owned for several years now. I've held onto it for so long, I'm curious to know it's manufacture date. I know from the serial number on the head, that it was made in Viet Nam but based on the body style, I'm not sure which model/version it is.

If there's anyone in the forum that has a link to where I might find out more about it, that would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

I have no plans to get rid of it. I just want to know more about it.
Attachments
Serial Number
Serial Number
DSC_2993.JPG (11.43 MiB) Viewed 2699 times
No model name designation
No model name designation
DSC_2992.JPG (10.43 MiB) Viewed 2699 times
Sculptured body inset - Fig. 1
Sculptured body inset - Fig. 1
DSC_2990.JPG (10.48 MiB) Viewed 2699 times
Sculptured body inset - Fig. 2
Sculptured body inset - Fig. 2
DSC_2988.JPG (10.96 MiB) Viewed 2699 times

kodiakblair

Re: HELP Requested: Which Model & Version

Post by kodiakblair » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:47 pm

It's a 3rd generation Grind.

The 1st generation models were assembled in the USA back in 2001. The 4 string was a 34" scale length PJ, 5 strings was 35" scale length JJ; both had active preamps and were bolt on neck basses. You can see mine here along with my 4 string 3rd generation.
Grind-Grind-5-G-Bass.gif
Grind-Grind-5-G-Bass.gif (940 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
Late 2002 saw the 2nd generation released, BXP. Those followed the same spec as the US models except they were assembled in East Asia.

My BXP 4 string.
Grind.JPG
Grind.JPG (962.38 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
Neither the US or BXP Grinds were particularly strong sellers. US Grinds were discontinued by 2003, the BXP was remodeled in 2004 as the BXP NTB (neck through body); 35" scale length.

This remodeling mirrored closely an earlier Peavey bass from 1999 , the Zephyr or C-4 & C-5. Laminated bodies and necks in natural finish.The basses were passive, 2 soapbar humbuckers with 2 Vol/2 Tone pots , both bolt on and neck through models were available. The C-series was only released to the European market and proved to be a strong seller. I think those sales figures shaped Peavey's decision to give the revamped BXP a similar style and spec.

My Zephyr/C-5 has had the hardware swapped for gold and pickups replaced but you can still see the aspects carried forward to the Grind NTB.
Zephyr Web.jpg
Zephyr Web.jpg (928.27 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
There's not a whole lot more I can tell you. The initial Grind NTB basses were built by the In Yen Vina factory in Vietnam, ESP/LTD were another of their customers. Peavey received some flack in the US over Vietnamese production so builds moved to China then Indonesia. At some point the 4 string model dropped to 34" scale length then increased again to 35". On later models the scooped area at the lower horn disappeared.

If my memory is correct, the Grind NTB stayed in production until 2018 or 2019; second only to the Foundation for longevity.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

USMC@hs1

Foudation bass

Post by USMC@hs1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:35 am

I have a 1984 Peavey Foundation and have looked everywhere or a truss rod wrench. It looks like a bent pipe. Can anyone help?