Help with Bass Identification Please

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
fenderchris

Help with Bass Identification Please

Post by fenderchris » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:49 am

I recently bought a Peavey bass on eBay on a whim for the 24 frets (I'm normally a dyed-in-the-wool Fender man) and it has turned out to be a surprisingly good bass (far better than I thought it was going to be) once I had adjusted the neck and bridge, put some very light gauge strings on it (30-90) and 'Fenderized' the control knobs so that the settings are easy to see at a glance - they make the bass even lighter too! I also reversed the positions of the Bass and Treble controls which feels like a more natural position to me.

However, I can not find out any info online about the bass. It is a Cirrus BXP, I think it is the Bubinga model and even I can tell that it was made (sorry, handcrafted) in Indonesia by reading the back of the headstock, but all attempts to find the serial number ( DNI A 0473 ) results in an 'unrecognised serial number' message.

Any further info (date of manufacture and exact model name) would be much appreciated.

See pix below:
IMG_4066.JPG
IMG_4066.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2576 times
IMG_4064.JPG
IMG_4064.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2576 times
IMG_4062.JPG
IMG_4062.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2576 times

kodiakblair

Re: Help with Bass Identification Please

Post by kodiakblair » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:48 pm

fenderchris wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:49 am
I recently bought a Peavey bass on eBay but all attempts to find the serial number ( DNI A 0473 ) results in an 'unrecognised serial number' message.
Any further info (date of manufacture and exact model name) would be much appreciated.
Peavey keep no records for any BXP products.

The serial number is solely for the Indonesian factory to keep track of batches should QC issues occur. If there was a problem ,Peaveys customer would log the serial number then get credit for the faulty item from the factory in question. More than one factory had the Cirrus BXP contract over the years.

The closest thing you can do to date your bass is check the pots for an EIS code , if they have one. It'll at least date the pots used in your bass.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:33 pm

Very interesting info. Thanks very much.

Does it look like a Bubinga version to you?

I would be happy with a ball-park date. At the moment I have no idea whether it is 5, 10, 15 or 20 years old. Maybe more.

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:33 am

fenderchris wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:33 pm
Very interesting info. Thanks very much.

Does it look like a Bubinga version to you?

I would be happy with a ball-park date. At the moment I have no idea whether it is 5, 10, 15 or 20 years old. Maybe more.
Aye , it's the bubinga version from 8 maybe 10 years back.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.