T-40 without pickup and phase switches?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
LouDur

T-40 without pickup and phase switches?

Post by LouDur » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:01 pm

I'm looking to purchase a T-40 and came across a posting with this bass. I was weirded out by the fact that it has no switches... Does anyone have any idea if a few were produced like this (which seems highly unlikely)? Love that it's a sunburst and maybe it got modified. Thought I'd post here. Thanks folks.

CGremlin

Re: T-40 without pickup and phase switches?

Post by CGremlin » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:28 am

Not that I'm aware of. Looks like they probably removed the switches, rewired it accordingly, and put a new pickguard on. If it's being offered for a good price and otherwise looks/works okay, and you're not too dead-set on it being 100% original (which it already isn't), it's not a major operation to rewire it with the needed switches and drill holes in the guard for them.

LouDur

Post by LouDur » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:09 pm

Thanks CGremlin, kind of what I thought. I was just wondering 'cause you'd probably have to get a custom or make your own pickguard. It's at $550 (canadian dollars), unfortunately just a bit far for a drive to check it out (about 1 hour 30 mins away). I'd have to take a bit of chance on it...

CGremlin

Post by CGremlin » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:24 pm

WD Music has T-40 pickguards in every imaginable color and pattern, and there are usually a fair number of used T-40 guards on eBay at any given time. Best advice I could give would be to get LOTS of photos before plunking down the cash just to make sure there aren't major problems (twisted neck, cracks, etc.). $550CA isn't a terrible price to begin with right now, but given that you're going to have to do some work, it never hurts to try to negotiate it down. :D