Peavey Foundation Super Ferrite with 60hz hum

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
Blindcatfish

Peavey Foundation Super Ferrite with 60hz hum

Post by Blindcatfish » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 am

I have a foundation with the super ferrites that has 60hz hum. I also have a foundation with the VFLS that does not have this hum. Are the super ferrites more susceptible to the 60 hz hum? If not, then i my next question would be: are the neck and bridge super ferrites exactly the same? I have read that they are. I bought the 2 pickups from 2 different sellers on ebay. So could i have got 2 neck or 2 bridge? (assuming there is a difference?). My other question is that regarding the wiring. The diagram shows that one pickup uses red for the hot and the other uses black. When i do this it puts the pickups out of phase and they sound terrible. Wired the same they sound great, but with the 60hz hum. Thanks in advance for any help!

kodiakblair

Re: Peavey Foundation Super Ferrite with 60hz hum

Post by kodiakblair » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Blindcatfish wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 am
I also have a foundation with the VFLS that does not have this hum.

The VFL is an active humbucker, what you have in your other Foundation are passive single coils housed in VFL shells.

Are the super ferrites more susceptible to the 60 hz hum?

Ferrites are single coils so will have 60Hz hum when soloed. Foundations are wired so both pickups act as a humbucker when the Vol pots are set to the same level.

Copy the wiring in your later Foundation and you should be OK
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.