Deactivate active pickup Fury II bass guitar.

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
nhenry

Deactivate active pickup Fury II bass guitar.

Post by nhenry » Mon May 06, 2019 6:44 am

Is is possible to convert the active pickup to passive? Just curious. Thanks!

kodiakblair

Re: Deactivate active pickup Fury II bass guitar.

Post by kodiakblair » Tue May 07, 2019 3:05 pm

I had it in my head the Fury II was passive pickup/active electrics.

That was until I looked just now. Happy to be wrong about that,keeps my feet on the ground :D

Nick

You might have trouble going passive with it,the pickup may have a low wind count and needs juice to boost the output, All is not lost.

The RSB had active pickups but passive tone pots. Get yourself a volume and tone pot,keep the stereo jack socket. Make up a standard harness,connect the white and ground from the pickup as normal. Leave the red and the black from the battery connected to the jack socket and pickup.

Post back how you get on :)
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Wed May 08, 2019 5:25 am

Thanks for the reply. It's something I may look at down the road for sure!

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Sat May 11, 2019 5:50 am

OK. I've got the bass setup with new strings, etc. and I'm thrilled with the action and speed of the neck, but not so thrilled with the active pickup and noisy pots. I'm definitely in the market for a passive setup for this bass. All I need is a volume and tone control. Anyone know of a pickup that will adapt easily at low cost? I've attached a photo for reference. Thanks in advance...
Attachments
IMG_3058.JPG
IMG_3058.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 10085 times

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Mon May 13, 2019 5:02 pm

Here's a shot of the pickup out of the Fury II bass. It has 2 wires. Hot and ground. Could this be a passive pickup afterall? I'm going to order 2 new pots and an output jack but also a new pickup if we're sure this isn't a passive pickup. Thanks for your help! Nick
Attachments
IMG_3066.JPG
IMG_3066.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 10079 times

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Mon May 13, 2019 5:03 pm

I forgot to mention this pickup has some weight to it. Quite beefy...

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Wed May 15, 2019 1:47 pm

The red is the battery feed. You can see the positive from the battery and the red are joined here.

The grey wire on mine gets ground to the mid pot but there's a white(spliced to black) that runs to the preamp . The black loops round down to back of pot.

If you're dead cert on swapping this Warman drops in.

https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/product ... overwound/

They ship worldwide so it doesn't matter where you live :D
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Thu May 16, 2019 5:44 am

Thanks again for your input, kodiakblair!

The electronics are totally trashed on this bass. The preamp has been replaced with I don't know what, all the pots and output jack are shot so I ripped everything out and starting from scratch. I found a pickup from China that looks like it'll fit and have the rest of the stuff ordered to convert the bass to a passive setup. Even with the initial cost of the bass and new parts, I won't have much invested and spending time working on it keeps me out of the bars!

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Wed May 29, 2019 11:56 am

KODIAKBLAIR!

I received the Chinese pickup I ordered and it'll work BUT, not a perfect fit so I ordered the Warman pickup you suggested and it's enroute. I'll update here when I get the Fury II online. Thanks again!

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Thu May 30, 2019 2:00 pm

@nhenry

Shame about the Chinese one not fitting.

You'll be in good company with the Warman. Proud owner of 34 Peavey basses msg'd me last week saying he's about to fit 2 Warman jazzbars in a project bass.

If you decide to go active again,a great preamp to try is the Tone Monster from Guitar Fuel. Won't break the bank and is a breeze to install.

http://www.guitarfuel.com/sbk-series-preamps.html

Johnny Long has loads of YT videos with the Tone Monster in various basses

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:36 pm

KODIAKBLAIR:

The Warman pickup fits like a glove and sounds great! New pickup, 250k pots, output jack and wiring. The Fury II should be good to go for years to come....Thanks again!

(Photo attached)
Attachments
IMG_3076.JPG
IMG_3076.JPG (2.86 MiB) Viewed 10046 times

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:53 pm

That is looking great :D

Seeing things like this turn out so well makes checking in the forum worthwhile.

Might go down that road myself,have a couple of jazzbars in the parts drawer.

nhenry

Post by nhenry » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:41 pm

I found a new home for the Fury II last week. Unfortunately, it sat in the stand for almost 2 years without being played. However, still active in music. I am a percussionist and keyboardist with a local music project here in Florida.

Nick