Upgrading pots in Fury V bass

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
Roscopc

Upgrading pots in Fury V bass

Post by Roscopc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:50 am

Hi, I just joined the forum. I’ve owned a Reactor Tele for about 20 years and would never let it go, so when I recently had an opportunity to trade an old Strat copy instrument for a Fury V bass, I went for it. The bass is in really good condition, plays well and has nice tone, but I can’t find much supporting information. It appears that it was only in production for 3-4 years.

The only issue I’ve found with it is that the B string saddle doesn’t adjust down as far as it could to achieve the action that the neck seems able to support. The pots are all scratchy sounding, but I’m hoping that will improve use, otherwise I’ll make plans to replace them. They seem to be Chinese-made pots and I was wondering if anyone has replaced them with US-made versions. I’d like to hear about that.
Last edited by Roscopc on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kodiakblair

Re: Grading pots in Fury V bass

Post by kodiakblair » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Roscopc

If you can't get the action you want I suggest you add a shim to the neck pocket. It'll allow you to raise the EADG saddles but leave the B bottomed out.
Never be afraid to shim a neck,folks have been doing it since bolt on necks were first used. A piece of business card in the far end of the neck pocket should be enough.

As for your pots question. The Fury V should have a Korean preamp by Sung Jin Ind,they supplied the preamps for many Peaveys. You'll find them in the USA Grinds and some Cirrus basses,Sung Jin supplied the preamps for my 2006 & 2007 Cirrus. I doubt you'll have space for large pots in the control cavity.

If you want USA pots then Bourns make them. Near as I can tell the product number is PDB18 1 GTR 01-503-B.

Not too fussed about Bourns ? Look for a B 50k mini pot. You'll also need a blend pot.

Might cost you $20+ just for pots so if you fancy a serious upgrade ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TONE-MONSTER-S ... SwnHZYRcWj
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

Roscopc

Re: Upgrading pots in Fury V bass

Post by Roscopc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks kodiakblair, I never thought about shimming the neck.

I found CTS B50K (EQ's) and B500K (volume) pots presented as Fender Strat replacement parts. I'll have to evaluate the space/body Dia situation and bushing length. I'm pretty sure I'd have to drill the bushing hole out to 3/8".

I haven't been able to find a supplier for B50k Bourns and I may have to settle for an imported MN250 fader pot.

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi

I'm not sure about your reason for wanting "US made" pots so this is just a heads up.

The Fender CTS pots are made in Taiwan and have been for around 10 years :o

Not that it's a big surprise, CTS started manufacture outside the US way back in 1968.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

Roscopc

Post by Roscopc » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:13 pm

I’ve refitted a few econo-Strat guitars with new pots and pups and one thing that seems common with the original Chinese pots is noisy scratchy adjustment and loose shaft fit in the bushings. In general, a real cheap feel. Do what you want with that phrase….

I wasn’t aware that the CTS pots were made in Tiawan (thanks for the enlightenment). There’s no question that they rotate quieter and smoother than a good many pots found in otherwise pretty well made Chinese/Korean guitars… the Fury V is a case in point.

My goal is simply to be rid of the scratchy sound and at the same time get a more solid feel to the pots in the guitar. I've worked with Bourns pots over the years in machine control circuits, but haven't used any in guitar mods.