Millenium AC BXP

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
kindwarf

Millenium AC BXP

Post by kindwarf » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:10 pm

Hi Guys, this is my first post n this forum, I have a problem with my bass. I put some new strings on my bass and and had to adjust the truss rod only to find that some one used the wrong size Allen key and rounded part of it off, I can most probably unscrew it with a tapered key or a stud extractor. My problem is is the nut fixed or will it come out so it can be replaced if so were might I get one? I dont want to throw it away because it has good tones. Any advise would be helpful and a little info on the history of the guitar, I know you cant trace through numbers, this on was made in China.
Thanks.

kodiakblair

Re: Millenium AC BXP

Post by kodiakblair » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:25 am

@kindwarf

I'm afraid it's a fixed TR nut.

That leaves you with 3 options.

1: Steam off the fretboard, replace the Truss Rod, re-attach the fretboard.

2: Convert the TR nut to accept a flat blade screwdriver,just cut a slot for it either side of the nut.

3: Tap and die the TR nut slightly bigger, secure a hex bolt in there with epoxy or similar.

Limited info on these Chinese Millenniums. Production years were mid 00's to around 2012.
I've a lot of time for Peavey's Chinese venture. Unlike others who just order up stock with their logo printed on, Peavey had their main man, Mike Powers, over there working with the factories to maintain standards and improve production methods. It's no surprise the latter signature basses, Sarzo's Bamboo Cirrus and Ellefson's Zodiac, were Chinese builds. Same VFL pickups were used in both domestic and import models, Korean company G&B supplied those.

I'll be totally honest here. My Chinese Millennium AC was a great bass, I preferred it over my US versions. Fit/finish was first class, colour of quilted top was more vibrant. AC BXP took a crazy low action easily without the need for a shim, same can't be said for the US builds.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Regards kb
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.

kindwarf

Post by kindwarf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:07 am

Thank you very much for the answer to my question, unfortunately I think to remove the fret board will be to much of a job for me, I only paid 50 uk pounds or $70 for it from a girl I bought an amp from and she was giving up I guess I should have checked before buying it I dont want to scrap it because It has very good tones so I will try some of the other repair methods you mentioned, but can you tell me how to cut a slot in the head of a bolt that a half inch down a hole.
Regards
Tony

kodiakblair

Post by kodiakblair » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:40 am

kindwarf wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:07 am
so I will try some of the other repair methods you mentioned, but can you tell me how to cut a slot in the head of a bolt that a half inch down a hole.
Regards
Tony
Hi Tony.

Grab a cheap 6mm chisel, best if it's cheap as it'll be wrecked after this. Slip the chisel in the hole and rest it on the rim of the TR nut, strike with a hammer. Flip the chisel and repeat. Do the same directly across. Once you the beginnings of a slot, take an appropriate screwdriver and place it in the slot. Again strike with the hammer, it'll start to widen the slot.

Just keep alternating between the two tools until the screwdriver beds in nicely.
Axcelerator,B-90,B-Quad,Cirrus,Dyna,Dyna/Unity,Foundations,Forum,Fury,Gbass,Grind,International,midibase,Milestone III, Millenniums,Patriot,Resolite,RJ-IV,Sarzo,3 T40,T45,T20,TL-5,Tragic,Unity,Void,Zephyr5,3 Zodiac.