Peavey Omniac Custom?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
Fetch

Peavey Omniac Custom?

Post by Fetch » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:16 pm

Hey all!
I was a member years ago and own a good number number of Peaveys. I've just acquired an Omniac which I have been keeping my eyes open for a while now. It was listed as "Mint" and I'm always a sceptic when it comes to such a listing. I took a chance and after receiving it was so happy to find it actually is "mint". Not a hair scratch on it anywhere with zero fret where.
I am hoping someone can tell me why this one has a matching headstock with the body? Is it because it is a custom model as Peavey sometimes does and why can't I find one single picture of another one like it anywhere on the web? (with a matching headstock) Wondering if I should even be playing it as I don't want to be the one who scratches it, lol! Anyway, I'm sure hoping someone can extend me some of your knowledge about this guitar. Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
hocysffmtbcxm9uktyg0.jpeg
hocysffmtbcxm9uktyg0.jpeg (226.2 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
ixlago3tybbmod8aflv5.jpeg
ixlago3tybbmod8aflv5.jpeg (273.61 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
d45ckyqvzzd30ipsqzgj.jpeg
d45ckyqvzzd30ipsqzgj.jpeg (254.73 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
ps443znvy0ytdvw2w0ej 2.jpeg
ps443znvy0ytdvw2w0ej 2.jpeg (224.53 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
sguyhgvgdra9xxcovtgh.jpeg
sguyhgvgdra9xxcovtgh.jpeg (191.98 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
swnresu5kcgxn1mq1kcz.jpeg
swnresu5kcgxn1mq1kcz.jpeg (168.98 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
IMG_1281.jpeg
IMG_1281.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 2905 times
swnresu5kcgxn1mq1kcz.jpeg
swnresu5kcgxn1mq1kcz.jpeg (168.98 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
wgfagf4hcxkodd7jln18.jpg
wgfagf4hcxkodd7jln18.jpg (155.51 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
IMG_1280.jpeg
IMG_1280.jpeg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 2905 times
IMG_1279.jpeg
IMG_1279.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 2905 times
IMG_1278.jpeg
IMG_1278.jpeg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 2905 times
u6qphz4ofx79h1cq8nz5.jpeg
u6qphz4ofx79h1cq8nz5.jpeg (214.82 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
bh4ofj5s36cqzmlzi8si.jpeg
bh4ofj5s36cqzmlzi8si.jpeg (200.05 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
ljqdpjmm2jbxoiuvxuxu.jpg
ljqdpjmm2jbxoiuvxuxu.jpg (237.48 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

studiodtk5

Re: Peavey Omniac Custom?

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:14 am

You have a rare guitar of rare guitars. I would say that is a custom one-off. That is anon standard color for the Omniac. Standard colors are Sunburst, blue, and natural. And all of them have a natural wood finish headstock. Also that retail price is way above the standard Omniac price.

Nice find.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

VSW

Post by VSW » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:07 pm

That is really a beautiful guitar. The maple neck is absolutely stunning! Enjoy it. :-)
Vaughan

Fetch

Post by Fetch » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback Darren and Vaughn. I guess I’ll just play the crap out of it as it’s sounds wonderful and feels amazing. I was thinking of consulting peavey and see if anyone had more details on its origin. Thanks again!

ElRey

Post by ElRey » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:29 pm

I agree with all the above comments. From what I've read over the years, there were fewer than 200 Omniacs ever made—including the few given to Jerry.

I happen to have a natural finished one, bought years ago at their release from Cream City Music. My best "Tele" for sure. But please DO Play it! Just take good care of it, and I'm sure it'll manage nicely, lol!

Yup, that's surely a one-off finish you have there, very pretty! Congrats!

twangboy

Post by twangboy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:20 am

Just WOW!
2- 87' Falcons, 90 Falcon Standard, 91 Falcon Custom,94 Axcelerator, 95 Firenza, Patriot, 83 Impact 2, 84 Horizon 2, Prowler, Wiggy, 2 X Classic 20,Classic 30 II, VK20MH(FieldKing!), 112SX cab, Transtube Pro 100 EFX, Transtube 258EFX

Richg

Post by Richg » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:13 pm

This is a beautiful guitar. I saw it for sale as well and thought pretty seriously about picking it up. But when I went back to make the purchase it had already been sold! Great to see it went to someone who appreciates it. I also own an Omniac with a matching headstock, mine is kind of a very light lime green. I have seen a few photos of a couple of other Omniacs with custom colors and matching headstocks, one also has stars instead of dots for neck inlays, I believe it was intended to be displayed at the LA NAMM show, but it appears that there are not many out there. Not sure what the story is on them, if the others were custom models made for a specific artist or a specific store, but I would wager it's something along those lines. I would like to add that in a post above someone mentioned that Omniacs were issued in Sunburst, Blueburst and Natural Wood, but there were Omniacs issued with a Blonde finish as well. The Sunburst and the Blueburst seem to be the majority however. Anyway, good for you for getting this, I'm sure it's a great one!

Richg

Post by Richg » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:23 pm

Hey just want to add that the Blonde Omniacs that I just referred to above are a darker yellow Fender Tele style blonde than the Blonde you have. Yours is most likely one of a kind.

Fetch

Post by Fetch » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:33 pm

Richg, That’s some great info on the Omniacs! Your lime green edition must be amazing! Love to see some pics! Thanks again for the education on the models.

Richg

Post by Richg » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:50 pm

I'll take some photos and put them up. It is awfully pretty!

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:44 am

Richg wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:50 pm
I'll take some photos and put them up. It is awfully pretty!
Would still love to see pics of your green Omniac!

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:40 pm

Look, Fetch, I've been through enough Peavey Custom Shop guitars and production line guitars and prototype guitars over the years to tell you that this is really simple: Your Omniac was either a custom order for a consumer purchased via their Peavey dealer and then built at/in/by the no-longer-operating Peavey Custom Shop (which was run by Tim Litchfield), or it was a sample intentionally made "on spec" by the very same Peavey Custom Shop for initial display during a Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim of the period (at which it was probably purchased wholesale by a dealer for eventual retail sale). It's also vaguely possible that Peavey built (just) this one sample to see how it felt about perhaps offering this color in the production line, and then -- upon looking at it -- decided (for any number of reasons) that this color was not going to join the others (Natural, Blueburst, 3-Color 'Burst, etc.) in the lineup, after which the particular individual item made its way out into the economy at large. No matter which of the preceding scenarios was the case, though, you can rest very well assured you've likely got the only Omniac painted in that Fender-style see-through "Mary Kaye" finish, and certainly the only "Mary Kaye" (misspelled in the neck pocket, BTW) example with a color-matched headstock facing (a feature commonly found on Custom Shop versions of the late, lamented Peavey HP Special), to boot. So, enjoy!

And just so you don't feel so alone, here's a Natural example where, clearly, time was taken and an effort made to match the front of the maple 'stock to the ash body (and you can see that the fretboard was not finished the same way).

Hope that all helps (and if it doesn't, and you're not comfy playing it for fear of damaging it, I'll happily buy it from you to reduce your stress level)!

ElRey

Post by ElRey » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:43 pm

Ha! Interesting to say the least. You managed to pull a photo of my very own Omniac off the web... cool coincidence! :) Bought it new in 2007 from Cream City Music, and it's still my very best "Tele-shaped object" after all these years. LOL.

Just for fun, I'm trying to upload a photo I took of mine a few years back, but it keeps spitting up an error message at me every time. Any tips on uploading attachment images successfully? Tried adding via the attachment dialog and then by dragging/dropping. No luck either way. Boo.

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:53 pm

I think the forum software is buggy right now about uploading pix; e.g., I first tried uploading from my computer to the board a jpg (that, believe it or not, has been on my hard drive for years) of the Natural finish Omniac you bought from Cream City Music, and the upload attempt failed repeatedly, so finally I just went and found that same photo online and instead pasted the link in my post -- success! Long story short, if you want to share pix, you're going to need to first upload them to some online storage platform (like Dropbox, etc.), and then embed links to them here in your forum posts.

ElRey

Post by ElRey » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:10 am

Thanks! I also use Imgur so I'll try that approach next tomorrow.
(Hadn't thought of that since the forum function seemed so straight-forward. Thought there was some "trick" I was missing. Ha.)