New Appreciation for Super Ferrite Pickups

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
tonepoet

New Appreciation for Super Ferrite Pickups

Post by tonepoet » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:17 pm

I pulled a Peavey Patriot out of storage the other day that I hadn't touched since I got it a few years back. Cleaned it up, did a set up and just got done playing it amplified for a few hours and I have a new appreciation for the Peavey Super Ferrite single-coils that were stock in the Patriots. What a great sound, both clean and with some overdrive.

I've always liked the two pickup, mahogany, hardtail version of the Patriot. And with the Super Ferrites being the size of a humbucker, it's easy to swap in your favorite choice of humbuckers, which I have done to a couple of my Patriots. But this one I'll leave stock.

Any other Patriot and Super Ferrite fans out there?

-tonepoet
Classic 30, Bravo 112, Bandit 112 redline, Vypyr 15, T-27, Patriot, Patriot w/ trem, Patriot Bass, Unity Series Bass, Firenza, Firenza JX, Firenza AX, Predator Plus (Korean), Predator Plus HB (Korean), T-60, Reactor

VSW

Re: New Appreciation for Super Ferrite Pickups

Post by VSW » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:55 pm

I'm on my second mahogany hardtail Patriot. My first one got stolen and I missed it for years. Finally broke down and bought another one like the first. :-)

I've always liked the two Super Ferrite pickups that come on Patriots. They are getting hard to find now as more people are appreciating them.
Vaughan

tonepoet

Post by tonepoet » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:32 am

...and indeed, the prices are rising on the Patriots and their pickups.

Back around 10 years ago, I got my first mahogany hardtail Patriot for $143 and I'm still playing it.

Thing I like about the Patriot over a Strat is that the volume knob is a good distance from the bridge pickup and that allows you the room to palm mute easier without hitting the volume knob, which on the Strat is right next to the bridge pickup.

An all-around favorite guitar for me. The two Peaveys I have owned and like the most to play are the mahogany hardtail Patriot and the Firenza AX model.

-tonepoet
Classic 30, Bravo 112, Bandit 112 redline, Vypyr 15, T-27, Patriot, Patriot w/ trem, Patriot Bass, Unity Series Bass, Firenza, Firenza JX, Firenza AX, Predator Plus (Korean), Predator Plus HB (Korean), T-60, Reactor

Camaro Guy

Post by Camaro Guy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 pm

I've had a T-15 with Super Ferrite pickups for about 10 years now. After my divorce, I had to sell off most of my guitars, including two Patriots, but I couldn't let that T-15 go. Those pickups are some of my favorites, period.

tonepoet

Post by tonepoet » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:19 pm

Grrrrrr... divorce and guitars... sorry to hear you had to sell guitars. In my divorce, I had to pay the Ex $3,000 to keep guitars I had already paid for and she, naturally, didn't play guitar anyway!!! She tried to claim they were worth $25,000 and wanted $12,500 in the settlement. We negotiated down to the $3,000 figure, which I still feel was $3,000 too much. But hey... I have the guitars and I don't have her, which is priceless.