2010 USA HP Special Rewire

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
guitarman59

2010 USA HP Special Rewire

Post by guitarman59 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:53 pm

Long and winded but maybe of interest to someone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a 2010 USA HP Special Flat Top in Black and it is my go to guitar. It was my second HP Special but just something about it I really like.
I got it used at a music store online somewhere in the usa in 2015 or so.

I asked them about any issues and they said it was a guitar that was sent back to Peavey as the customer said there was a problem with the electronics.

Peavey checked it out and found no issues so returned it to the store.

I noticed that it seemed to be a intermittent signal drop when at full volume after playing it for a while but very random.
I lived with it for a long time and looked it over and couldn't seem to find any loose wiring or connections.

I added a treble bleed cap and resistor to keep the highs when the volume was rolled down and it works great.

I wasn't real keen on the Tele sound in the middle position and did a lot of digging to see how it was wired to sound like that.

What I came up with was that the Hot and Ground wires from the pickups were reversed. Consensus seemed to be that if one pickup or the other was reversed wired there wouldn't be much of a tonal difference but if 2 pickups together were reversed it would make a difference.

I looked at the wiring and it had the Red and ground together grounded to the switch and the Black wire was going to the switch hot terminal.

I swapped the wires around because according to an email Peavey sent to someone somewhere asking about the color codes the Red was Hot, Black and Bare were grounds and the White and Green were soldered together and attached to the push pull switch lug that was shorted to ground for the coil tapping.

I never coil tapped the bridge much so I left it together off in the cavity and made the treble bleed an off and on instead.

The DCR of the Bridge pup was 15K+ and the Neck 12K+ and they blend very well now and sound more traditional than before.

Everything sounds better in all positions and the treble bleed is super useful giving an option when rolling down the volume.

FWIW there doesn't seem to be any more intermittent signal loss so maybe the cutting resoldering etc fixed that issue dont know.

Overall Im really happy with the sound now and glad I changed it. I doubt I will redo the other 2 HP's I have as they are pretty cool to have that way.
IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG (288.28 KiB) Viewed 784 times
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG (418.14 KiB) Viewed 784 times
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG (436.37 KiB) Viewed 784 times
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG (421.96 KiB) Viewed 784 times
IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG (392.29 KiB) Viewed 784 times
peavey.jpg
peavey.jpg (14.28 KiB) Viewed 784 times