Patriot neck joints & T-15

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
luisfonsai

Patriot neck joints & T-15

Post by luisfonsai » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:34 am

Hello guys, further to my previous query about the T-15 bridge, I'd really appreciate input from someone who knows these older guitars well.

I'm interested in both the T-15 and its successor the Patriot. I believe that both models have the same Bill Lawrence-designed Superferrite pickups and electrics and that they share a number of construction details, but they differ in scale length -- the Patriot is 24.75" (common in Gibsons but shorter than a Fender) and the T-15 is 23.75" (unusually short; about the same as a Gibson Byrdland).

All things being equal I'd probably look for a Patriot. However, as I understand it at least some early T-15s were made with a straight bolt-on neck, while later T-15s and all the Patriots had Peavey's version of the Microtilt mechanism to adjust the neck angle.

Am I right about this, and could a 'Microtilt' Patriot be set up as a straight four-bolt?

Regards,
Fonsai

VSW

Re: Patriot neck joints & T-15

Post by VSW » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:57 pm

Patriot_T-15 Guitar Wiring Diagram.pdf
(116.02 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
To the best of my knowledge, you are correct about the electrics being the same. I've never been around a T-15, only a couple of Patriots. I did find a Peavey schematic that it titled: "T-15®, PATRIOT™, PATRIOT™ '86 WIRING DIAGRAM (Rear View)" on page one and "PATRIOT™ '86 W/TREM. WIRING DIAGRAM (Rear View)" on page two. So everything is wired the same, at least on the 2-pickup versions. Looking at page one, the numbers for the pickups differ for the 3 different models, but only the last digit. All these numbers start with 9520120*. I don't really know what these differences in numbers mean, but they are different for bridge and neck. Might be helpful if you're trying to identify which you have if you locate a pickup that has been removed. I've attached the schematic so you can see what I'm talking about.

I don't see any reason that a "Microtilt" couldn't be installed using tapered (wedge shaped) shims to adjust the angle of the neck like, for example, my old VOX. Once you get everything shimmed and adjusted correctly, it would be a nice solid connection that (arguably) might enhance sustain. Just more work than using the tilt adjustment. Tapered shims are available from luthiers' supplies.
Vaughan

Rand O’Merik

Post by Rand O’Merik » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:06 pm

Any tilt-neck IS a standard bolt-on with the added micro tilt adjustment. I’ve owned many 80’s Peavey guitars with the micro tilt adjustment, including a 86, and 87 Patriot, but not one with a hard tail bridge. I’m not sure that you could defeat the tilt screw (just bolt the neck on flat) and get a good setup without a shim, as suggested above. Each individual guitar may be different in this respect. I’ve seen slight variations in neck dimensions on the older guitars.

I also don’t see any reason not to do the setup just using the micro tilt adjustment.When done correctly it works fine. It’s when guys try to make adjustments without first loosening the main screws, or over tightening the screws, that they run into problems.

tonepoet

Post by tonepoet » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:04 pm

I just did a set up on a Patriot last night and agree with Rand O'Merik's assessment of the micro-tilt adjustment on the Patriot neck. If one loosens the strings and the neck screws before adjusting the 1/8" set screw, then tightening the neck screws and tuning up, no shims should be needed. Love those Patriots. -tonepoet
Classic 30, Bravo 112, Bandit 112 redline, Vypyr 15, T-27, Patriot, Patriot w/ trem, Patriot Bass, Unity Series Bass, Firenza, Firenza JX, Firenza AX, Predator Plus (Korean), Predator Plus HB (Korean), T-60, Reactor

eastover53

Post by eastover53 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:08 pm

Be careful, as many of the necks were two piece necks with a seam down the center. Too much pressure with the microtilt can cause the neck to split at the end.

tonepoet

Post by tonepoet » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:03 am

Thanks eastover53, point taken. Of all the Peavey's I've owned with the "bi-laminate" two piece neck, I only had one split and that was due to water damage in a rehearsal space fire. Sitting in its case wet for two-months while the building was condemned caused the neck to separate behind the nut at the headstock. But, yes, I can certainly see where pressure in the middle from the microtilt setscrew while downward pressure from the neck screws pulling at the side could certainly stress the center seam of the neck.
Classic 30, Bravo 112, Bandit 112 redline, Vypyr 15, T-27, Patriot, Patriot w/ trem, Patriot Bass, Unity Series Bass, Firenza, Firenza JX, Firenza AX, Predator Plus (Korean), Predator Plus HB (Korean), T-60, Reactor