Peavey Nitro 1 locknut issues

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
LJey

Peavey Nitro 1 locknut issues

Post by LJey » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:08 pm

I got a Peavey Nitro 1 with the Fulcrum tremolo.
I am struggling with the locknut. It came without it. I purchased one. However the headstock is curved where it mounts. I see the screw holes where it used to be. Does anyone have a Nitro 1 that they can send me a SIDE picture of the locknut. I'm guessing I need to fill the gap with a hardwood. However I would love to see how it was mounted originally. I can't find any pictures on the net.
Thank you

The Guitar

Re: Peavey Nitro 1 locknut issues

Post by The Guitar » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:25 am

When I had a Nitro I, I used this onehttps://www.whammyparts.com/make-model/ ... ock-detail. Mounted, about half of it is able to rest just behind the nut, while the other half sticks out. It worked just fine. I have seen a guitar posted in another forum that had a behind the nut lock that fit into that curve. Unfortunately no one could find any details on it.

*Edit*
Found this at the Strat Talk forum; https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/help ... on.529871/ hopefully someone here might have a lead.
Attachments
nitro2.jpg
nitro2.jpg (717.39 KiB) Viewed 2824 times

LJey

Post by LJey » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:39 pm

Thank you! that part on the start forum would be perfect however they said it was out of production since the 80s. There also wasnt a product name or number. Do you have yours floating on the tuner side? I cant tell from the forward facing picture. I wish I could get my hands on one of those. I repaired the fine tuners a few days ago. This guitar has a sound all of its own. Im wanting to spend more time with it.I would l;ove a side picture if you get a chance. If its not too much trouble. If its not possible thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I like this forum. Had help within 48 hours of my first post.
Thanks again

LJey

Post by LJey » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:13 pm

I searched the links you sent me. They led me to a couple other places. What I found out is the Truss rod cover is thick and it fills the space in between the screws. My Nitro was missing this piece. I found one for 18 dollars on ebay. Thank you for your help.

The Guitar

Post by The Guitar » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:33 pm

Awesome! Unfortunately, I had sold or traded it off many years back. The only up close shot is when I first got it, without the lock nut. :P

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:09 am

Years ago I installed a Kahler deluxe "string lock" (they're actually not a lock nut, like a Floyd, since the standard nut is used) on a Predator.
I made a sloped flat spot to mount it on, and fit the string lock right up to the back side of the nut. It worked out very well;
DSCN2077.jpg
DSCN2077.jpg (81.15 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
DSCN2078.jpg
DSCN2078.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
DSCN2079.jpg
DSCN2079.jpg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 2743 times

This is the Kahler Deluxe installed;
DSCN2107.jpg
DSCN2107.jpg (292.9 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

But I have also held them back from the nut, and used a wooden filler, successfully;
DSCN3059.JPG
DSCN3059.JPG (97.42 KiB) Viewed 2740 times

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:46 am

Wow. That’s a nice neck. I’ve never seen a Predator with a fancy birds eye maple neck.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:58 pm

studiodtk5 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:46 am
Wow. That’s a nice neck. I’ve never seen a Predator with a fancy birds eye maple neck.
Thanks man!
I completely lucked out, it's flamed, and birds eyed, it must have been a personnel's personal one-off project :wink:
It looks scalloped, but it's not, the flame figures are somewhat in sync with the frets.
When I got it, the fingerboard lip was broke off, and it had a chunked out tuner hole, but it was definately worth repairing;
DSCN2064.jpg
DSCN2064.jpg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
DSCN2097.jpg
DSCN2097.jpg (132.61 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

VSW

Post by VSW » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:09 pm

tele twister wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:58 pm
studiodtk5 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:46 am
Thanks man!
I completely lucked out, it's flamed, and birds eyed, it must have been a personnel's personal one-off project :wink:
It looks scalloped, but it's not, the flame figures are somewhat in sync with the frets.
When I got it, the fingerboard lip was broke off, and it had a chunked out tuner hole, but it was definately worth repairing;
Nice job!
Vaughan

LJey

Post by LJey » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:08 am

Thank you to everyone that reached out to help. I found the original truss rod cover. Then mounted a new Kahler locknut. It floats at the tuner side however it lines up perfectly with the string angles. Hardly any change at all when I lock them down. The guitar is back to its original setup. I thought I would change the pickup with a Seymour Duncan P Rail to give the guitar some tonal options. After plugging it in I couldn't imagine changing this pickup out. I got a buddy that says they sell for 5 bucks, and they sound terrible. I beg to differ. This pickup screams. Plenty of mids and highs for a thick overwound pickup. Great for heavy Rock ,Metal. Ill keep it original.

Rand O’Merik

Post by Rand O’Merik » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:21 am

Kahler made a special plastic shim set for fitting string locks to a headstock like that. That’s what would have originally been on the Nitro. The shims took up that “floating space” and were intended to maintain the proper break angle across the zero fret (nut) and came as two separate shims (one for each side) to allow for enough clearance to still be able to adjust the truss rod. That latter part didn’t work out too well on the original Nitro necks. I usually had to loosen the stings and the lock, and slide the lock up out of the way to make adjustments on those guitars.

That shim set hasn’t been available for a long time. Sometimes you can find them used on eBay, but that’s about it. I made a solid shim from ebony for my Mantis LT project when I was first getting it together, but later found used original shims to replace it with.

The Nitro series came with the standard Kahler string lock (in the link you were given above), not the “pro” string lock you used. They both have the same footprint, but the standard lock sticks out less - especially when the lock is properly shimmed. Doesn’t look bad the way you did it, but that’s a heck of a break angle across the nut…