Parts & Advice for Refurbishing a '92 Predator w/ Power Bend

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
catapultic

Parts & Advice for Refurbishing a '92 Predator w/ Power Bend

Post by catapultic » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:18 am

Hi all! New to the forum and looking forward to getting some advice.

In '93, When I was 10 years old, I received my very first electric guitar, a red Predator with a Power Bend trem, S/N 05747245 made ~1992. This guitar sparked a lifetime of love for guitar, and I want to spend some time refurbishing it and bringing it back to life.

The guitar is naked right now, just a neck on the body, and ready to get a makeover. I have some specific questions:
  • Replacing the bridge: Has anyone replaced the bridge with another floating trem like a Gotoh 510? The 510 doesn't fit in the body cavity and I think the string spacing is incorrect. Basically I'm looking for a good modern trem that just fits this guitar.
    Pickguard design: This red guitar had a white pickguard which has really seen better days. I'd like to replace the pickguard with a custom made one. Does anyone know where I can get some kind of plan or schematic for the shape, screw holes, pickup holes etc? Wondering what type of info I can provide to the pickguard maker to make sure it's precise.
    Anything else? If you've refurbished one of these guitars, what other mods have you added that you're happy with? I'm definitely planning on dropping some nice pickups in there, maybe even turn it into an HSS.
Thanks in advance, looking forward to all your ideas.

jreising326

Re: Parts & Advice for Refurbishing a '92 Predator w/ Power Bend

Post by jreising326 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:25 am

I purchased a Predator at a Pawn Shop back in February for around $100 and have gone down the upgrade path. Search the forums like I did and you will find just about all the info you need. I'm a newbie and a general "tinker-er", and I wanted a project to learn about the nuts and bolts of electric guitars. I have an older post showing it with the original S-S-S pickups in a tortoise strat pickguard, but I've since converted it to H-H with a 5-way Superswitch.

I put a Wilkinson Bridge in, which is a drop in. It certainly improved the sustain, probably because there is more and perhaps better metal.

I fixed all of the scratches, dings and paint chips, cleaned, buffed and waxed it. Hipshot staggered locking tuners which required me to enlarge the tuner holes in the neck. You don't need to do that if you buy vintage tuners of the correct size. The Pickups are Dragonfire HexBuckers which I think are a good value.

Any strat pickguard should work, but you might need to drill a hole or 2, so you shouldn't need to go custom unless you want to.

I'm attaching a picture of the guitar in it's current form, it''s a 1994 model. Good luck and have fun! Feel free to ask questions too...
Attachments
g3.jpg
g3.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 1126 times